Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stitch IN ditch or ABOVE the ditch?

Junior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Am I the only one who stitches ABOVE the ditch. When I first started quilting and quilted IN the ditch, I found that I had that uneven look where you would see the stiches...not see the stitches...see the stiches....
    So I started stitching on the fold itself and got wonderful strait results. Does anyone else do this?

Carole

Banned
    on the fold is not usually seen in quilts but works fine if carefully and accurately sewed.

I have never done above the stitch, only in the ditch, but try not to stitch too close to the edge, as that is when it is harder to stay in the ditch. I will have to try stitching above the ditch sometime and see how that looks.

Blog Entries
    I have a stitch in the ditch (SID) foot and I will never try to SID without it again! I used it on my last 2 quilts around the binding (I don't/can't hand sew the back of the binding d/t nerve problem in neck) and they turned out the nicest of anything I have machine bound.

I much prefer the "look" when it is on the fold. I figured it was just me, now I know there are two of us.

Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by emerald46
    I much prefer the "look" when it is on the fold. I figured it was just me, now I know there are two of us.
    make that three of us.

sorry! what do you mean above the ditch? I always stitch about 1/4in from the seam is this what your meaning?

Usually when you are piecing you press the seams to one side. The side where you press the seams away from would be the ditch, and the side where you have pressed the seams towards would be the above the ditch side. The above side would also be the thicker side if that helps.

Junior Member Chester the bunny's Avatar
    Thanks for the explanation patchsamkim. That's exactly how it's done. I tried to attach a photo but you can only do that in the original post somehow.

Carole

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast