Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the Ditch Foot >

Stitch in the Ditch Foot

Stitch in the Ditch Foot

Old 06-18-2012, 05:07 AM

Default Stitch in the Ditch Foot

I'm interested in getting the stitch in the ditch foot for my Janome. Does anyone have one and what do you think of it. One of my concerns is, will it work as well as a walking foot as far as the material feeding through. If not, when do you use this foot?
Old 06-18-2012, 05:59 AM

I have one and have yet to use it ! But I'm kinda like that, I'll use it someday, along with all the stash I have built ! Hopefully. I have rulers, patterns etc that I have yet to make...Anyhoo that's just the way it is. I have a Pfaff and it has a built in walking foot, I don't think a foot will help with the feeding of fabric. But hey, I could be wrong. Clean your feed dogs and maybe get a single hole needle plate for straight stitching helps too.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 AM

My Janome has Acufeed and I made sure to get the in-the-ditch Acufeed foot. I LOVE IT!! It's the best of both worlds.

On my little Brother, I had to choose between in-the-ditch foot or a standard walking foot; and for me the in-the-ditch foot gave me better results. I had to wear gloves to help me grip the fabric and help it along more but it looked better than when I used the walking foot.

I'm not the most experienced quilter, though - if you have better fabric-managing skills than I do or are more used to the walking foot you might have different results. Make some potholders and try out each foot and see what works for you!
Old 06-18-2012, 06:25 AM

I thinksewnoma has good advice...make some potholders or something small first. I have a SID foot for my Pfaff that I love, but I think that is a whole different thing, since the walking foot thing is sort of built in. (I have only been quilting 2 years, so I can't really know what I am talking about. )

Dina
Old 06-18-2012, 06:46 AM

I got one for my Bernina walking foot. Love it, don't know what took Bernina so long.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:48 AM

I have a Janome Horizon 7700 with the AccuFeed. I bought the ditch foot, thinking I probably wouldn't really love it, but wanted to try it. I was wrong - I love it!! Ditch quilting is a snap now, and I hardly ever have those spots where I weave out of the ditch.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:54 AM

I have a Janome and stitch in the ditch foot, works good for that purpose.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:40 AM

I have one for my Bernina 830 record. It helps me with the binding process.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:47 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

I have a stitch in the ditch for my Bernina and I have a walking foot that is attached to my machine at all times. I can't remember what they call it. It works well for me. I'm glad I bought the foot. I use it often for many things. Especially small runners and table toppers as I don't really quilt.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:29 AM

Well, now you have me intrigued. I have a Bernina 185 and lots of different feet (including the walking foot) but no "stitch in the ditch" unless it goes by another name. I searched on the Bernina site for SID foot and got no results. Perhaps they don't make one for a machine as old as mine? Does anyone know any more about this - foot number, perhaps?