Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stitch in the Ditch question

I have searched through the forum and haven't found an answer to my question, so I am going to ask here.

When you stitch in the ditch, do you go next to the seam, or in the seam?

My research has shown it is done both ways.

I always didit right in the seam.

Blog Entries
    When the blocks are pressed to the side, there is a definite seam ridge. I was taught to pull the block slightly apart so you see the seam line easily. Sew down the seam line so when you release, the stitches will disappear. (I'm not always that disciplined)

If the seam direction changes between blocks, it takes a little more tugging to align the seam with the stitch line. It does work but it is a little slow going.

I have also done a topstitch on top of the ridge - just at the edge. I like that look but it takes serious concentration.

You can do what you like and get the look that you like best. It may be different from quilt to quilt.

I do both...but I have read that stitching right into the seam line could break down the sewing stitches? Also depends on the look I want...sometimes I like seeing the stitches

I've helped with several quilt judgings and the judge always says "stitch in the ditch should stay in the ditch" I've also read that pressing seams open helps when stitching in the ditch

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quilterjody
    I've helped with several quilt judgings and the judge always says "stitch in the ditch should stay in the ditch" I've also read that pressing seams open helps when stitching in the ditch
    thanks for that tip - I can see where pressing seams open would help me stay in the ditch better

Banned
    if you press seams open you don't have a ditch to stitch in. It should be barely under the fold of the seam.

Quote Originally Posted by quilterjody
    If you press the seams open, then stitch directly in the seam, don't you run the considerable risk of piercing, and weakening, if not actually breaking, the piecing stitches?

here's the article. ...someone else posted it on the board. makes an interesting read.

http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...SeamsOpen.html

I just finished a pot holder and I tried and tried and could not stay in the seam line, so I sewed next to it and loved the way it turned out. I don't think there is a wrong or right way, perhaps just a preferred way. The article on always pressing the seams open was interesting and would like to hear other opinions regarding that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast