Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
stitch in ditch sewing foot >

stitch in ditch sewing foot

stitch in ditch sewing foot

Old 11-05-2010, 09:11 PM

Stitch in the Ditch is only a term....I don't think anybody can actually do perfect stitches in the ditch of a seam line. Calm down...nobody expects them to be perfect...no one!!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 09:52 PM

I use a very slim zigzag that catches each side of the seam. I find it looks great and it's much easier to stay on the line. Also I line up the front groove of whatever foot I'm using and "drive along" that way.
Old 11-05-2010, 09:59 PM

I can't stitch in the ditch so I just do a shadow kind of thing if I want my quilting to follow the blocks.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:26 PM

I can't STID for the life of me...couldn't stay in the ditches. Anyway, I use a certain mark on my walking foot for a guide and echo/shadow stitch, approx 1/4 - 3/8" outside the seams...they still aren't very straight but it doesn't seem to be as noticable.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by lnikkers52
I guess i was born with crooked genes because no mater how hard i try i can't sew a striat line. Most of my quilting is s stitch in the ditch. So i bought a sitd sewing foot. i run the blade right down the the seam. But im still off track. it runs about a 1/16thto 1/8th off the ditch. do you set the foot some how ? what am i doing wrong . why wont my ding dang darn stitches stay in the ditch?
I don't know of anyone who is perfect at this every time. Most of the time we all manage to wander out of the ditch. Unless it's a long way off I've learned to let it go. Whoever you give the quilt to won't be looking for mistakes. If anyone was so rude as to mention it take the quilt back and give it to some one who will appreciate it.
I have a SITD foot for my walking foot of my 6600 but never use it. I feel I do better on my own. Just keep quilting and don't get too bent out of shape by minor matters.
If it really bothers you make a few charity quilts to practice on. The people who get them won't mind a few stitches out of the ditch.
Old 11-05-2010, 11:48 PM

I too had problems with this foot.... I now use a open toe foot and have much better luck..... I can see where the needle is going and the line on the foot is more accurate than the blade ever was....
Old 11-06-2010, 03:18 AM

I've thought of buying a SID foot but don't understand - a walking foot is pretty much required when quilting, is it not? The SID foot doesn't fit a walking foot! (And it's good to know others wander from the ditch like me!)
Old 11-06-2010, 04:03 AM

You can easily go "in and out" of the ditch, even with a special foot. The special foot helps and going slow too, but I like the other ladies suggestions to use a slight decorative stitch. I can't wait to try it. Sounds like a great idea.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:27 AM

I find I have better luck when using my SID foot if I look where the blade is going and not where the needle is going.
It took me a long time to train myselkf to do this but I have good luck with this method. Just keep practicing and you will find your nitch. Whatever works for you is the correct way to do it.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:37 AM

I use the SITD foot with my Pfaff(IDT) and place my hands on either side of the seam pulling it tight. Stitch with medium speed and you will be fairly accurate. I find slow stitching causes more problems than medium speed. There are no quilt police and if it's a little off remember the galloping horse statement. LOL!