Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: stitch in ditch sewing foot

I guess i was born with crooked genes because no mater how hard i try i can't sew a striat line. Most of my quilting is s stitch in the ditch. So i bought a sitd sewing foot. i run the blade right down the the seam. But im still off track. it runs about a 1/16thto 1/8th off the ditch. do you set the foot some how ? what am i doing wrong . why wont my ding dang darn stitches stay in the ditch?

Blog Entries
    I am still learning how to SITD and have a foot like you described. I read somewhere (don't remember where, though!) to gently pull on the seams as you stitch through them. I think it caused the thread to sink down in the seam and not be noticable??? My brain was fuzzy last night to asthma problems and I may not have remembered correctly.

I just got a new sitd foot the beginning of summer. I already killed it. Just go slow when you are stitching. I've learned to do it without that thingy. It's frustrating. I even tried the clear thread, but that was hard to see when threading the machine. And it's hard enough trying to get thread through that ity bity hole. If you go slow then areas where the seams may cross may be where you are going off a little. But there's no quilt police, so unless you absolute hate it, no one else will notice.

I find it extremely hard to keep all the stitches in the ditch which, since that is pretty much all I can do at the moment, is pretty frustrating.

However, I just finished a baby quilt in Minkee and that stuff is marvelous for hiding any quilting irregularities :wink: My SID foot just loved it :lol:

Blog Entries
    I usually move my needle position to where I want it when I SITD. Really helps me.

I just ordered more "feet" (lol) for my sewing machine and the SID is one of them. Hope I like it. Another is the 1/4 seam foot... I know I'll love it. I have done some SID without the foot and I agree that you just have to go slow. And, practice makes perfect. I haven't sewn in years until a few weeks ago and was really rusty when I first started back. I can really see improvement with time and practice, so don't give up!

When I stitch in the ditch I use a gentle serpentine stitch. That way if it isn't perfect you can't tell.

The decorative stitches work wonders with the SID foot.

You are suppose to stitch just on one side close to the seam not directly in it.That is what I was told anyway.Then if you put the black bar on the side of the seam really close it should go in the ditch? Hope this helps!

Don't stitch in the ditch. Solves that problem. As above said use a serpentine or decorative stitch.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast