Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch in the Ditch >

Stitch in the Ditch

Stitch in the Ditch

Old 08-27-2011, 10:27 PM

I didn't realize how late it is, but I'll respond to this without reading all of the posts. When I did my first D9P, I didn't know how I would SID. The only other thing I can do on the domestic machine is cross-hatch. So someone advised me to take a long straight object (I used a narrow slat of wood bought at Lowe's.), place it corner to corner diagonally and mark it. I did that and then stitched along the marking. Then I proceeded to do the same for the other direction....place the slat of wood corner to corner and mark, then stitch along the marking. Next I started with one of the diagonally lines and used my 5" x 24" ruler and marked with that all the way parallel with the stitched diagonal line. I continued to do the same going all the way across. Then I did the same with the other diagonal line. This probably sounds so lame, but it came out very nice. I suppose you could use any width of ruler, depending on how far apart you want your stitching to be.
Old 08-28-2011, 01:07 AM

I'm still stalled on SID for my donation quilts (others I quilt by cheque book). I found SID much easier since I started using a walking foot -- my cheap little Brother Star just chugs along with the walking foot feeding perfectly, even if the ditch wanders. I also use quilting gloves now and find it takes a lot of strain off my hands while I am trying to hold the seams open to stitch in, so I would recommend you try the gloves. Mine are not fancy ones -- I bought them from a $2 shop somewhere sometime and would love to remember where it was!
Old 08-28-2011, 02:58 AM

Its hard to stay in the ditch but its ok if you cant make a straight line .It makes it an original.No one but you will notice!!
Old 08-28-2011, 06:03 AM

An old quilter gave me a hint about quilting lines on a quilt even if it is cross hatching or straight, can be used on the machine or by hand , Buy a roll of painters tape, it is blue and comes in two dfferent widths, I crosshatched a small quilt , you can do a row and then take the tape off and move it over another row, it stays soft on the quilt , does not leave marks and can be used over and over, it works real good. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Old 08-28-2011, 07:27 AM

There is a stitch in the dutch foot fot most machines. It has a piece in the center of the foot thst follows the seam. The problem with that is I use a walking foor when quilting.
Vicky
Old 08-28-2011, 09:35 AM

After reading most of the responses from other quilters, I am relieved. Stich in the Ditch is not an exact science. I fretted over this when I first started quilting and no matter that dh said, "It is a quilt! Don't be hard on yourself!" But he is right and so is everyone who replied to be good to yourself.
:lol:
Old 08-28-2011, 09:47 PM

When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)[/quote]

Drunkard's Path???
Old 08-28-2011, 10:33 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
When you press the seam allowance to one side, there is a "low" side to the seam and a "high" side. Gently pull the seam apart and SID along the high side ON the low side right where the ridge is. When you let go of the seam, the SID will literally disappear into the seam.

When the seam allowance flips, you can gently move the seam over by a notch so the needle will land on the low side again.

THat said, I have done some work where I sewed ON THE HIGH SIDE sort of like a topstitch. It is personal preference.

MadQuilter you are too funny.
When I had a little too much wine, I have meandered around the ditch (not sure they make an acronym for that - lol)
Old 08-29-2011, 10:01 AM

I just finished a baby quilt made of pinwheels. I had read a tip on here to use a very small zigzag for SITD. That's what I did, but I've decided I'm simply not able to do this and have it look the way I want. The next time, I'll stitch next to the seam.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:26 AM

Thanks again everyone for all the help and for the laughs!!