Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Stitch in the Ditch

Stitch in the Ditch

Good Morning All
    I just found out there is a foot for stitching in the ditch. I am wondering if they really help< My SID looks like it was done by a child- a very small child!
    Any advice?
    Thanks Bj

I bought one that is a foot plate for my walking foot. It is supposed to help you stitch in the ditch but I have not used it. Since it is hard to "stitch in the ditch" I like to use a meandering or wavy stitch across the ditch. then if I am not straight it doesn't matter. There will come a time that I will have to use it.

My newest Grandson, Caleb Austin, was born May 29th. I am now Grandma to 4 precious babies. I am so blessed!!!!

I have both the regular type and the one for the walking foot. LOVE them! One of my favorite feet to use. If you cann afford it get the walking foot type ( if avaiable for your machine) ... its one of the quilting expenses I do not regret.
    Just a comment consider using a fancy stitch.. I use the large S or serpentine stitch alot , it never looks like you went off course. T
    Last edited by Lori S; 03-15-2012 at 10:21 AM.

I too have the regular SITD as well as the one for the Janome AccuFeed/

They are well worth the $, and I love the job they do.

The foot has a little "plough" on it, that sits into the "ditch" and then you just sew along.
    Once I have the needle position set so the stitches "are" in the ditch, then it's easy peasy to SITD!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks so much. Wish I had thought about the decorative way to do it before I started this quilt! In the mean time I will save my prnnies I mean dollars to get the SID walking foot.
    Well back to it--I have broken two needles so far! But a little over 1/2 done now. (Can you see I am smiling1111)

Blog Entries
    I have one of these feet, but I don't use it anymore because I'm too much of a perfectionist for SITD. What I am doing instead now is using a "serptentine" stitch, which is basically a wavy stitch to left and right. It goes right over the seam allowance but I no longer have to worry about deviations from the seam (they basically don't show up) plus I can sew faster this way.

I have a STD foot and I really like it and I have never had any problem with my stitching looking nice
    "BIG SKY COUNTRY"

Stitch in the Ditch

Yes the stitch in the ditch foot is very necessary. I use a Bernina 440 and use this foot all the time for quilting.

I use an open toe foot for sitd . I find that I can see where I'm going much better than using the sitd foot.

Blog Entries
    I love the SID foot, the little guide sits on the seam, looks good!!!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast