Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stitch Length

Got a new Janome, finally (with a lot of help from friends) feel like I can machine quilt my 4-square. Just one question: What stitch length do you use? Help.

Congratulations on your new Janome. I use 1.8 on mine.

I use 2.2....that's about as small as I want it in case I have to frog it!

Banned
    if you are doing straight walking foot quilting then lengthen the stitch a bit to allow for the additional thickness. Your default setting for stitch length is for two single pieces of fabric. If you are free motion quilting then strive for about the same length (3.0).

Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    if you are doing straight walking foot quilting then lengthen the stitch a bit to allow for the additional thickness. Your default setting for stitch length is for two single pieces of fabric. If you are free motion quilting then strive for about the same length (3.0).
    Holice help me out please. 3.0 stitch length on FMQ, everybody is telling me zero because you move the quilt creating your own stitch length. Im just learning FMQ so I welcome any tidbits you might have for me. What do you get when you use 3.0?

Quote Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
    Quote Originally Posted by Holice
    Holice help me out please. 3.0 stitch length on FMQ, everybody is telling me zero because you move the quilt creating your own stitch length. Im just learning FMQ so I welcome any tidbits you might have for me. What do you get when you use 3.0?
    I agree with Holice! 3 is what I use for FMQ. Always have and always will. (The stitch length, not that I always agree with Holice) :lol: Make a practice square and try them all. See what works better for you! You might decide were all full of it!

Sorry, I meant 1.8 for piecing and 2.5 when I SID.

Blog Entries
    I like to use 3.0 when straight stitching like SITD or cross hatching. When FMQ, it doesn't matter what the stitch length on the machine is because I have the feed dogs down and use the darning foot, so I'm in control of the stitch length. I try to keep it at an even length of about 2.5-3.0 but when doing small work or thread painting, anything goes!

Enjoy your new Janome. I've had one for about 5 years and still love it :) Sometimes I'll do small projects, like placemats, and play around with the decorative stitches just for fun.

I use 2.2 for piecing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast