Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stitch length

Stitch length

A friend called and asked me what stitch length should she stitch for piecing. I'd never thought of this -- she said a woman told her to NOT use setting "3" as it's too long. I use setting 2.6 --- which equals 9 stitches per inch. She said the woman told her the judges would "mark her down" for such long stitches......... Sooooo any opinions here????
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

I use the default stitch length for basic piecing, but if doing something with lots of small pieces, I will shorten it so it won't pull loose as easy at the ends

I use 2.0 or less if paper piecing.

Blog Entries
    I use 2.5 for basic piecing. But will take it up to 3.0 when sewing on binding or sewing flannel.
    Joyce

Okay - 2.5 and 3.0 don't tell me how many stitches per inch. Comparing to my old sewing machine to my new sewing machine there's a 3 stitch difference in the 2.6. So it would help me if you could tell me how many stitches per inch you all do.
    Dee

"A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing." by George Bernard Shaw

2.6 should be a 2.6 mm stitch. There are 25.4 mm per inch so that is just under 10 stitches per inch. The setting of 3 would only be 8 spi.

I am different than most of you. I use a 2.0 mm stitch (~ 12 to 13 spi) for piecing and 2.5 (10 spi) for binding. I definitely wouldn't use an 8 spi.

interesting --- and I just tested my machine --- same stitch length for 2.5 and 3.0!!!!!! HMMMMM guess I should have it checked!!!

But do judges use stitch length as a criteria???
    Dee

I use 2.5. Works everytime.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by amandasgramma View Post
    But do judges use stitch length as a criteria???
    This was MY question! I've heard of them using the length of QUILTING stitches for judging criteria, but I've never heard of them using the length of PIECING stitches for judging criteria. How are they even able to see the piecing stitches in a finished quilt?

Maybe your friend is confused?

1.6 when paper piecing
    1.8-2 when regular piecing
    2.5-3 when piecing minky

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast