Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch length >

Stitch length

Stitch length

Old 04-22-2018, 03:41 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA
Default Stitch length

I have a Singer quilting machine that I bought a few years ago. I never could get the stitches to change size until recently and quite by accident. For whatever reason it started stitching at the length I selected instead of the real tiny stitches it had always done. I would have to play with the length and the placement of the needle every time I sat down but that was OK since I could get the length I wanted.

So yesterday I tried stitching in the ditch, something that hasn't been possible because the length was so small it looked terrible on the back.... all puckered. I got my walking foot out, changed the stitch and needle placement and started to sew. Grrr...... I'm back to getting the small - read tiny - stitches again. I've done everything I can think of. So now I have to pull the stitches out (that's going to be a lengthy pain) and tie the quilt I guess.

Should I try a plain foot? What am I doing wrong? I'm using 80/20 batting so the sandwich isn't very thick.

Help!! :-)
Old 04-22-2018, 06:52 AM

Did you have the feed dogs up for using with the walking foot?
Old 04-22-2018, 07:12 AM

Are you supporting the weight of the quilt while you are stitching so that it isn't pulling backwards? I throw mine over my shoulder so that it lets the pressure foot do all the work. And, still, I am ready to help push or pull a little bit if necessary. If you find this is your problem, there was a wonderful do-it-yourself project made of PVC pipe that supports the weight of the quilt for you. http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...e-t250308.html

Does your foot have a way to adjust the pressure? Ironically, on my older Singer, if I had very fine material I had to use a very light pressure, but with a heavier item...think denim, back then I wasn't quilting...I had to increase the pressure.

When you say Singer Quilting machine, do you have a model number? Do you have the manual? Could we see a picture of the machine and how you quilt? A lot of the quilting machines are mostly for piecing, but should be able to quilt the pieced top.

Edited to add: I reread your post and realized you said the thread was puckered on the back. Does that mean the bottom thread is almost straight so that the top thread is sorta looped around the straight bottom thread? If this is the case, you may have a problem with the thread hanging up on your bobbin. Or your bobbin pressure is too tight. Or that the top thread is not threaded right through the tensioners causing the bottom to be too tight. I would love to see a picture of the stitching, both top and bottom. Does your regular piecing stitch look normal?

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-22-2018 at 07:20 AM.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:20 AM

Location: Inverness, Florida Lived in states MA (born/graduated) RI (twice) CA (3 times) MO (3 times) KY VA

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
Did you have the feed dogs up for using with the walking foot?
Up...........
Old 04-22-2018, 08:02 AM

I was starting the stitching in the middle and going to the edge with half the quilt on the table and the other half in my lap. When I said puckered I meant that because the stitches are so small the back doesn't lay flat. The machine is a QB 7469 Confidence Quilter.
Attached Thumbnails 20180422_115120.jpg   20180422_115128s.jpg   20180422_115144s.jpg  
Old 04-22-2018, 06:28 PM

Have you tried changing your upper tension when you are in the quilting mode? My older Singer would do stitches like that when I sewed heavy fabrics unless I tightened up the tension. However, this article contradicts my experience, but does describe yours. http://www.sewingreviews.org/correct...hooting-guide/

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 04-22-2018 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:57 AM

I'll try it. Thanks.
Old 04-24-2018, 05:59 AM

If you can't change your stitch length that sounds like a trip to the repair shop.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:20 AM

Have you checked and cleaned your feed dogs?
My machine used to make very tiny, close together stitches. I took it to the shop where the tech showed me that lint had accumulated in the feed dog tracks ( like felt!) preventing them from making bigger stitches.
I need a sharp object to clean the tiny spaces( I use a dental pick). I do that regularly now.