Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Stitch Length

Blog Entries
    I adjust the stitch length depending on the batting. I use a longer stitch to quilt something that has a thicker batting in it, shorter stitch for a thinner batting.

If you're using a walking foot and quilting in straight lines I would think the feed dogs should be up.

Blog Entries
    Glad this question was asked. I've just been using my default setting of 2.5, Even for SITD. So far, so good, but maybe I should do some experimenting.

Blog Entries
    The Viking has a walking foot you can buy to attach for quilting. In case you have puckers it may be worth the investment. A nice taut sandwich and a walking foot can make a big difference.

I like to use my stitch length at 3.0 when doing straight lines. I use the walking foot. I think it is a good length. When I free motions with the darning foot I try to do about the same length of stitch, in fact I just leave it at that length until I start to piecing again for I use that length to sew the binding on.

Blog Entries
    While on this subject I've always been curious as to how many stitches per inch is "3.0" or "2.5"? I piece at 2.5 but quilt at 3.0.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    While on this subject I've always been curious as to how many stitches per inch is "3.0" or "2.5"? I piece at 2.5 but quilt at 3.0.
    If I could see well enought to count them, I would tell you. :-)

I think it is about 11-12

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Barb_MO
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    If I could see well enought to count them, I would tell you. :-)

I think it is about 11-12
    I know, Barb, I need new glasses too! I know what: I'll mark out an inch or even 2 on some fabric, set the stitch length at 3 and count the number of times the needle goes thru the fabric! BRB...OK, I stitched thru and index card with 1/4 lines. 2.5 = 9 1/2 SPI (Stitches Per Inch), 3.0 = 8 SPI & 2 = 12 SPI. There now we know!

bj
    Quote Originally Posted by dsb38327
    I like to stitch on 5. Would that be a reason I am breaking needles or am I just hoping for a quick fix?
    I bought some needles that weren't Singer brand and I broke them right and left. Bought Singer brand and have had no more problems. They just didn't clear through the plate where the feed dogs are right.

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    The Viking has a walking foot you can buy to attach for quilting. In case you have puckers it may be worth the investment. A nice taut sandwich and a walking foot can make a big difference.
    I know the Viking walking foot is about $100. I just went on eBay to see if I could find one less expensive and I found several for under $50 and they were the Viking brand.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast