Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch Regulator Opinion, Please >

Stitch Regulator Opinion, Please

Stitch Regulator Opinion, Please

Old 02-15-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by rivka
I originally bought a Juki with the Grace Stitch regulator, and I now have a Bailey with a stitch regulator. I couldn't imagine trying to quilt without one -- with it, I was able to practice for just a little while (a pantograph, so basically the same pattern over and over), before doing my first quilt. With the stitch regulator you still have to try to work at an even pace, but it gives you a lot more room for error, and the results end up looking a lot nicer.
Thank you. Watching the long arm videos yesterday, I could see that it's a whole different world than my machine/frame set-up, but I would like to make what I have work for me if possible. I don't make very many quilts and, while I think I can justify the expense of a stitch regulator, I can't justify buying a long arm machine at this point in my life.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting

Janome doesn't have a stitch regulator. The only short arm you can get one with is Bernina. My friend and I tried it out at a LQS and were very disappointed. We both have Janome 6600's and found out they are so much better. With push button instead of foot peddle it is just as good (actually better) than a stitch regulator. The main point of a stitch regulator is to keep the machine going at a constant speed and when you move your hands the needle moves. It is still possible to get uneven stitches. If you use a knee lift lever it does the same job of stopping the needle when the presser foot is lifted. My advice would be to save your money until you can get a machine with a longer space.
I don't understand the references to push button vs. foot peddle. The Bernina provides both methods of running the machine, but this has nothing to do with the BSR. The stitch regulator changes the machine's speed (the speed at which the needle goes up and down) to match the speed at which you move the fabric. This results in stitches with equal length. I have the Bernina stitch regulator, it works very well, and I love it. Many quilters have learned to quilt without having a stitch regulator, but most of us find that it is much easier with one. I believe that most longarms are sold with a stitch regulator, even though it is usually an additional expense.

As far as the stitch regulator for the machine and frame you have, I would ask if I could test it. Not all stitch regulators are created equal.
Old 04-21-2012, 02:43 PM

Default bailey with a stitch regulator

Originally Posted by rivka View Post
I originally bought a Juki with the Grace Stitch regulator, and I now have a Bailey with a stitch regulator. I couldn't imagine trying to quilt without one -- with it, I was able to practice for just a little while (a pantograph, so basically the same pattern over and over), before doing my first quilt. With the stitch regulator you still have to try to work at an even pace, but it gives you a lot more room for error, and the results end up looking a lot nicer.
You note that you have a Bailey with a stitch regulator. Is the regulator the one that Bailey sells called Sew Control? I have an opportunity to buy a Grace Sure Stitch at a great price (for me that is) but somehow I think only the Bailey will work with the Bailey. Would appreciate your time in replying to this. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM

This post is pretty old. I now have a Baby Lock Jane on a frame and have a stitch regulator. I dont recommend a domestic machine on a frame as it is a big hassle to use. But I do like the stitch regulator that cost an extra $500.
I am constantly having to run from the front of the frame to the back just to raise the needle if I need to rethread or end my sewing. To rethread I have to push the machine to the end of the frame since it threads from the side and the bobbin is a big hassel to refill also. The sewing area is also only about 4 inchs so meanering is about all I can do. Blocks are to big to put a design on. To anchor the sides of the quilt for pantographs I still havnt figured out but find you do have to sew the sides down or the needle will get stuck.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:56 AM

I have a friend who bought a machine last year with a stitch regulator. She taught me to quilt and has been doing it since her mother taught her. I can only tell you what she regularly repeats to me regarding her stitch regulator: I hate this thing. I should never have bought it. Unfortunately, she no longer even tries to use it. Good luck with the decision.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 07-04-2017 at 03:35 PM. Reason: remove shouting
Old 07-04-2017, 01:14 PM

Default Janome DOES have a stitch regulator.

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting View Post
Janome doesn't have a stitch regulator. The only short arm you can get one with is Bernina. My friend and I tried it out at a LQS and were very disappointed. We both have Janome 6600's and found out they are so much better. With push button instead of foot peddle it is just as good (actually better) than a stitch regulator. The main point of a stitch regulator is to keep the machine going at a constant speed and when you move your hands the needle moves. It is still possible to get uneven stitches. If you use a knee lift lever it does the same job of stopping the needle when the presser foot is lifted. My advice would be to save your money until you can get a machine with a longer space.
Not sure where you got your information, but Janome does offer a stitch regulator. However it runs about $500, way too expensive for me. I will try the push button method, though.
Old 07-04-2017, 05:49 PM
Power Poster

I have a stitch regulator for my Sweet 16 and I have not figured out how to run it successfully. I believe that a bit of practice will work for me to control the FMQ just fine without the regulator. For successful FMQ you need to find the perfect speed between machine speed and hand movement. With a regulator you still need to find that balance so why spend the extra money? Wish I hadn't.