Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch Regulator, Opinions Please >

Stitch Regulator, Opinions Please

Stitch Regulator, Opinions Please

Old 01-15-2015, 09:58 PM

Domestic machines don't go fast enough for a stitch regulator to be efficient. You can out-run it too easily. A laser stitch regulator (like the BSR) is less efficient than one that records an actual X and Y movement (like on a longarm). I vote for getting an Avante with a stitch regulator. The Sweet 16 regulator is a bulky thing that attaches to the quilt, and isn't very effective.
Old 01-15-2015, 11:20 PM

like many I have the bernina 440 stitch regulator. When I first. Had the machine I played with my new toy. 2 years down the line I just go for it. Sometimes straight lines with walking foot,others , normal open toed spring foot. I use feed dogs up and down . To. Be honest I just go on a practise piece then on the main quilt and please myself. Honestly no difference. Over time small stitches have got bigger and big stitches smaller. Some days they are perfect especially as I did before Xmas 12 tops quilted in a row, perfect by the end.

those of us working from home on DS machines have long spells without quilting while we make the blocks. This break makes us forget. My dogs and cats have my sample pieces and love them. Old ones get stuffed in a big bed they have. Periodically I was hand empty out. The animals love polyester in centre but I find that not my idea of middle especially on a domestic machine as it catches too often.
Old 01-16-2015, 03:12 AM

Hi Kaye,
I bought the stitch regulator with my Tiara and used it once! If you want mine, I will make you a deal, LOL! I found that I could actually feel the stitches and did a better job without it.
Hope this helps
Old 01-16-2015, 04:43 AM

Thank you for all the great information, ladies! I've been considering a Sweet 16 for a while now, and never feel comfortable with the stitch regulator at the dealer's shop. Seems silly. I'm getting better at fmq, and as long as I know there will be an adjustment time to the new machine, I think I can handle it without the stitch regulator.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks for asking this question, I have been thinking about it also. I think I will hold off for now.....
Old 01-16-2015, 07:42 AM

Remember that when you look at your stitches when you are finished is NOT the way they will look after washed and dried. It pulls in a little and unless they are really BIG will all look pretty much the same.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:09 AM

I found practice to be more valuable than a BSR. The Tru-stitch just seemed difficult when I tried it.
If I got a long arm I would probably also get the regulator, because they work differently, but not for a sit down.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-03-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-16-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Judylee2 View Post
Hi Kaye,
I bought the stitch regulator with my Tiara and used it once! If you want mine, I will make you a deal, LOL! I found that I could actually feel the stitches and did a better job without it.
Hope this helps
I too have a Tiara with a stitch regulator(came as a package when I purchased floor model). I rarely use it - seems jumpy to me. I still have a long way to go to "perfection" but each time I fm I get a little better.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:52 AM

I thought I needed a BSR, but found out that it was a waste of money. I can FMQ a lot better and faster without it.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:29 AM

I have a BSR on my Bernina and love it! I was always intimidated by FMQ, and the BSR has helped my stitches tremendously. I think it's all a matter of preference, but it is much easier for me to FMQ with than without it.