Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stitch Regulators >

Stitch Regulators

Stitch Regulators

Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM

Default Stitch Regulators

I've been quilting for a couple of years now and I think I'm ready to move into a nicer machine. I'm probably going to try buying something used, though I really don't know what I can get in my price range (I have about $1000 saved, and I'd be happy to wait until I have another $1000 saved if that gets me a nicer machine ... though I don't know if I'm willing to go much beyond that. I still have to buy groceries.)

I really like the idea of a stitch regulator. I know it's training wheels, but my FMQ is really terrible. Really, really terrible.

So three questions: 1) if you've used a stitch regulator, do you like them? 2) is it even possible to get a used machine in that price range that includes a stitch regulator? And 3) does anyone have a suggestion for a particular machine I should be shopping for?

Thank you!
Old 01-11-2013, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

As far as I know, the Bernina is the only domestic sewing machine that has a stitch regulator.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:06 PM

Baby lock just released a stitch regulator that you can use for a few of the high end machines but you have purchase it separately.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I watched the video for the Babylock stitch regulator. I can't quite figure out what it does. If I understood correctly, there's a control that you have to set for machine speed, and also stitches per inch. The woman in the video had to stop and change the machine speed setting when she wanted to go slower (to make a smaller quilting design). I don't understand that. To me, the purpose of a stitch regulator is to automatically change the machine's speed so that you get consistent stitch length. That's what the BSR does, that's what the SR on my longarm does. Does anyone have experience with the Babylock SR?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:50 PM

Unfortunately I have not used it either. I just got an email from them saying they had the true stitch regulator for my machine. I do know it has to be purchased in addition to the machine and cheapest I have seen people post is $999. at that price I'm going to keep practicing my FMQ .
To Giddyupandgo, I upgraded my little Brother from Wal-Mart to a Babylock Symphony and I'm in love. it has a larger throat space and sews like a dream. I have done some FMQ and love it but I don't have a regulator. you can get it for the symphony but it's an extra purchase. I bought mine new from a dealer and it was $2100 out the door.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

My Bernina 440 with stitch regulator was about $3000 two years ago. I believe the 550 replaced the 440 and it was supposed to be less? You would need to look into a secondhand Bernina at that $1000 but your Bernina dealer might have some trade in machines as others upgrade.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:24 PM

I have used the Bernina stitch regulator and the tru-stitch regulator on the Handiquilter sweet 16. I did not like either of them- I thought both were jerky and didn't allow me to get a nice rhythm, I also felt rounded patterns didn't look as round as I would like them to.

The BSR frequently beeped at me that I was going too fast for it (and I don't think I quilt fast, I'm rarely at my top setting).

So for me, I would say totally not worth the money. What got me good at quilting was practice.

As for budget, $1000 WITH a stitch regulator is going to be tough.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:28 PM
Power Poster

I really do not think it is worth it for a domestic machine. I have it on my longarm.
Old 01-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
As far as I know, the Bernina is the only domestic sewing machine that has a stitch regulator.
Not true babylock now has them but the stitch regulator by itself is over a 1000. Stitch regulators can be pricey. Brothers and babylocks do have the AHA system built into their TOL machines which regulates the tension automatically. I got a babylock espire used for 1800 and did not need a stitch regulator, tension was good you just had to practice the speed of your hands. A lot of it is practice and I don't think regulators are necessary as many people FMQ without them. You can now buy the stitch regulator for those TOL babylock machines like the espire but again you will shell out about another 1200 bucks
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Power Poster

Skittl, I was under the impression that the BSR only works on a Bernina, and only on some models. It ties in with the electronics. It definitely isn't meant to be used with a longarm, where the speed (stitches per minute) is much higher. Is it possible that the SR you tried with the handiquilter was a different brand? There are quite a few on the market to be used with machines on frames.

I used the BSR on my Bernina quite a bit until I bought a longarm. I loved it! I also have a SR on the longarm and personally would not be without it. There's so much to concentrate on that I need the extra bit of help that the SR provides.