Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stitches for a Crazy Quilt

Blog Entries
    Does anyone have a list of stitches and patterns for the various stitches used for Crazy Quilts? I was given some beautiful and expensive velvet a week or so ago, and even though I had to do hand work, I thought I might purchase some corordinating colors to go with it an make a quilt. It is a dark sort of a teal green, not teal blue, but a beautiful piece of fabric. My DD (does not sew at all) suggested, that I use a pretty blue, lighter green, black, purple and maybe a pretty burgandy or something along that line to go with this and make a quilt. Now who do you suppose she was thinking would be in line for this quilt if I make it up, lol. Any Help on where to find the stitches would be appreciated. Thanks bunches. Gerbie

Blog Entries
    You could check out your local library for books on embroidery stitches and pick out the ones that you like, most of them have directions on how to do the stitches...

You can go online and google embroidery stitches, JoAnn's has books on them and here's a site that I bookmarked for different stitches.

http://www.fidella.com/webstitch/needle_stitch.html

Have fun!!! Crazy quilts are beautiful!! :D

Quote Originally Posted by quazyquilter
    You could check out your local library for books on embroidery stitches and pick out the ones that you like, most of them have directions on how to do the stitches...
    yes, why buy the book, go to the library to see what is there, then if there is a book you love you can buy it.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sewcrafty
    You can go online and google embroidery stitches, JoAnn's has books on them and here's a site that I bookmarked for different stitches.

http://www.fidella.com/webstitch/needle_stitch.html

Have fun!!! Crazy quilts are beautiful!! :D
    Thanks for the link. I bookmarked it. I have learned so much since joining the board. I love it!!

Blog Entries
    Some years ago I had the same idea, but the quilt that took so
    long to make wound up being WAY too heavy. So I cut it down
    and made each daughter a pretty, show-off lap robe, lined with
    added teal poly over the backing, for strength. NO way was I
    going to pick out all those stitches to remove that backing!!
    I did stitch through it in some places, catching the backing in
    a few pretty shapes here and there, echoing the odd shapes
    from the front.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    Does anyone have a list of stitches and patterns for the various stitches used for Crazy Quilts? I was given some beautiful and expensive velvet a week or so ago, and even though I had to do hand work, I thought I might purchase some corordinating colors to go with it an make a quilt. It is a dark sort of a teal green, not teal blue, but a beautiful piece of fabric. My DD (does not sew at all) suggested, that I use a pretty blue, lighter green, black, purple and maybe a pretty burgandy or something along that line to go with this and make a quilt. Now who do you suppose she was thinking would be in line for this quilt if I make it up, lol. Any Help on where to find the stitches would be appreciated. Thanks bunches. Gerbie
    Hi! I purchased the book "Crazy Quilting The Complete Guide" by J. Marsha Michler. This book is easy to follow and includes 100 embroidery stitches with color demonstrations. I have not made a crazy quilt yet, but wanted to have a book ready for when I take the plunge. I keep this book handy when I want to relax and just browse through the pages. It lists at $29.99 but I used a coupon at Borders so the price was really not so bad. Good luck!