Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: stitching distance

San Bruno, CA
    I am making a bedspread where I have sewn long columns of fabric onto the Warm and Natural batting and the backing all at the same time using a stitch and flip method.The sashing is 4" x 104" and the coins are 8" sewn into strips 104" long. Do I need to quilt in the sashing and the wide strips ? The directions say I can leave 10 inches unsewn but does that apply in both directions?

Blog Entries
    you probably don't have to quilt the sashes, but the wide strips, especially, will probably keep their shape and "lay" better if you do at least a little quilting.

do you want to quilt them? do you think the finished quilt would look better that way?

your quilt. your decision. ;-)

Western Wisconsin
    Blog Entries
    I would at least tack -- so there isn't 10 inches in every direction unsecured. I just think it woudl look better.

currently central new jersey
    if the sashing is laying out perfectly straight, with no little 'waves', i wouldn't bother. i happen to like a puffy look between quilted parts.

in the end, you have to decide.

British Columbia
    I can't really picture what you're describing....BUT.... a guild member brought in a quilt she had quilted every 10" like her package had said....after washing it....the batting had migrated into lumps...... and she had ALOT of picking out to do...and re- stitching....personally I wouldn't consider quilting anything less than 4" .... but that's me....and that's why I LOVE quilting..... after all...... quilting is quilting..... not just piecing, right?