Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Storm at sea troubles >

Storm at sea troubles

Storm at sea troubles

Old 09-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

I would switch the 2 top left blocks at least. The black and white is a great idea.
Old 09-22-2015, 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I would switch the 2 top left blocks at least. The black and white is a great idea.
Yes, that was my first thought too, then remove that last block at the right....too early for that dark a block.....this us a tough color way to produce, but you are doing well.

I started a SAS from a guild workshop, but mine will (someday) just be the same blue/white thruout...........I bought the j Flynn templates for mine.......works well......
Old 09-22-2015, 05:29 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...a-t267743.html

I did a varigated SAS also, picture shown at link above. I ran my colors diagonally rather than horizontally. I love your fabrics!
Old 09-22-2015, 05:59 AM
Power Poster

I think perhaps there are too many different colors in all different shades in too small an area. The black and white will help with value, but doesn't show the many color changes. I agree that the shift in color usually looks best over a full diagonal. However, I do think the best thing to do is to use either EQ or coloring pages to reproduce your plan before changing it.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:57 AM

I think you need the rest of the rows before you make a decision. I see the flow of color that you say you would like to have-but it just seems to stop because you do not have the rest of the four rows. I understand your skepticism but the beauty of the flow of color is in the whole project.
Old 09-22-2015, 08:22 AM

I agree, that's what caught me eye also. Its going to be lovely!
Old 09-22-2015, 08:55 AM
Power Poster

How about using your own intuition instead of the LQS owner's advice/suggestions? Sometimes "what is" will show that "theoretical" isn't working.

Most of the colors shown seem to be muted (even the lime green one) - so I think you will be able to make them work together.

If one does not "work" - it really is okay to not use it or change it to something else.
Old 09-22-2015, 11:45 AM

you guys are good! the top block is a fill-in to be replaced by the "right" combination of fabrics andthe bottom left is the wrong block almost entirely!

i'm going to finish it off accordingto the math and then tweak as necessary. i strongly suspect late night panic and uncertainty are at play here.

thanks for all your suggestions. i have looked at so many of these that i feel my eyes might be bugging out and i am not up for the colouring gig. i'd rather sew first and cry later i guess

aileen
Old 09-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by stillclock View Post
you guys are good! the top block is a fill-in to be replaced by the "right" combination of fabrics andthe bottom left is the wrong block almost entirely!

i'm going to finish it off accordingto the math and then tweak as necessary. i strongly suspect late night panic and uncertainty are at play here.

thanks for all your suggestions. i have looked at so many of these that i feel my eyes might be bugging out and i am not up for the colouring gig. i'd rather sew first and cry later i guess

aileen
Sometimes it does look different after all the pieces are there - and one has had a good night's rest!
Old 09-22-2015, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
It looks beautiful. You may wish to print out a "coloring" page for your layout and take some colored pencils to it so you can see as you progress if the undulation is as dramatic as you are hoping for. About half way down the page is downloadable SAS coloring pages
http://www.generations-quilt-pattern...sea-quilt.html
this is what I did. It helps to visualize it . There was a wonderful on here recently. I'll look for the link.