Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight line quilting question >

Straight line quilting question

Straight line quilting question

Old 05-03-2016, 02:40 AM

Default Straight line quilting question

I don't do a lot of straight line quilting but want to. How do you do that on a full size quilt with all the turning in so many directions? I have a Pfaff 3.5 Expression. Thank you
Old 05-03-2016, 03:25 AM

Default Quilting at Home

I mark with Fons & Porter Chalk Pens on some of the fabric in the quilt and roll the quilt up in the arm of the sewing machine and I use a big table and my hangers using clothes pins to support some of the weight of the quilt. I usually only do straight line or shadow. And I allow myself to send out to the long arm quilter every 5 or 6 qullts.
Attached Thumbnails osu_quilting.jpg  
Old 05-03-2016, 03:41 AM
Power Poster

You mark your quilt and try to be accurate because if not, it will look wavy. I do stack my larger 24" rulers together every third row I mark to be sure I still lined up properly I use either a Hera marker by Clover or blue tape making tape. You roll up you quilt from the outside corner to the center and start from the center quilting, working out to the corner. As long as you have support for the quilt on you left side and behind you machine, you will have no problem. You do all four sides that way and then you are done.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:46 AM

If you do straight line quilting you will eliminate a great deal of the turning if you learn to stitch in reverse. Then you only have to turn it 90 degrees and do the forward, pivot and reverse stitching. And, remember to make some rows in opposite direction so that it does not stretch out of square as you work. This happens because the feed dogs are engaged.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:32 AM
Power Poster

See if you can map out a quilting route that will take you from one edge of the quilt to the other. As mentioned, you need to try and make your quilting passes varied. Go from top to bottom, left to right, bottom to top, and right to left.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
... roll up you quilt from the outside corner to the center and start from the center quilting, working out to the corner. .... You do all four sides that way and then you are done.
ManiacQuilter2, I am not getting the picture. In my mind, I see an angular roll from one corner to the center, then quilting on a line that is diagonal to the squared quilt.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

I straight stitch 3-1/2" finished squares quilt. I start in the center at top or bottom, stitch all those rows, then onto the other half. I do the other way the same way. I just finished one and starting to sew on the binding. I am donating quilts.
Old 05-03-2016, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

You can straight line quilt in a large grid pattern by doing all the vertical lines and then all the horizontal lines. I taught myself how to do ruler work on my sewing machine for when I want to mix FMQ and straight line quilting. You might take a look at Amy's site and see if you want to learn ruler work and get a ruler foot. www.freemotionquiltingdventures.com/
Old 05-03-2016, 07:16 AM

I don't turn. I work from the center out & use reverse when needed.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:13 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
See if you can map out a quilting route that will take you from one edge of the quilt to the other. As mentioned, you need to try and make your quilting passes varied. Go from top to bottom, left to right, bottom to top, and right to left.
Hmmm - I have an old Pfaff 1471 that I stitched straight across - always in the same direction - and it turned out fine.

My thinking was that if it was going to pull - it would all pull in the same direction and I would not have a "wavy" look on the back.