Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight Lines Should Be Straight >

Straight Lines Should Be Straight

Straight Lines Should Be Straight

Old 05-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by QM View Post
I can't tell from the picture, although there MIGHT be a very slight wobble in the lower right hand corner. Be aware that judging is not completely objective. I, and friends of mine, have had one judge make negative comments on something praised by another judge. The extreme version of this was a friend whose quilt was disqualified from the state fari because it was deemed obscene. She entered it in our quilt show complete with the previous critique. The universal view of our show goers and our judge (blue ribbon) was that it was a darling image of her 2 sons building a sand castles. The boys were wearing knee length shorts. If you can't find the problem, don't worry about it. I have had the reverse happen a couple of times. I was persuaded to enter something in a quilt show although I did not think it good enough and I got a blue ribbon, while another, that I thought was a "sure" winner didn't even place.

Your quilt has very strong diagonal lines. While I can't see and clear errors, in person, sometimes minor variations from straight lines are more noticable. If the quilt show is very competitive, sometimes judges need to quibble over very minor details. I have seen the difference between first place and honorable mention be the sharpness of the mitered corners on the binding. My friend who got the HM didn;t speak to me for a week.
Almost any contest has politics involved. I would love to see the quilt of the little boys building a sand castle. Do you think your friend would let you post a photo of it?

Norma
Old 05-08-2012, 03:47 AM

I hope no one thought I was complaining about the judges comment. I just wanted more understanding about what the judge was trying to tell me. I plan on entering more contests and want to try to improve my skill. I like to enter shows it gives me a place to have people see my work and once you get a ribbon it becomes addictive.
Old 05-08-2012, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by CoCoQuilter View Post
I hope no one thought I was complaining about the judges comment. I just wanted more understanding about what the judge was trying to tell me. I plan on entering more contests and want to try to improve my skill. I like to enter shows it gives me a place to have people see my work and once you get a ribbon it becomes addictive.
Bravo!

Janet
Old 05-08-2012, 10:27 AM
elm

I thought that's exactly what you meant, which is why I wondered if there were someone in your area who had done judging who might be willing to look at your quilt and explain what the problem might be. Or is there someone you know who has won ribbons who could advise you?
Old 05-08-2012, 11:20 AM

This is a picture of the quilt as it hung in the show. Judges comment was lattice need work on being straight and I am not sure what that means.
I think this is hysterical. I just found this magazine and this quilt is on the cover. Is this where you found the pattern? I really like this quilt, but was wondering what a neutral would look like with the flying geese? I think for us to see we would need to blow the pic up or get right on the quilt. Nothing is screamingly apparent. I'm taking lattice work to mean the dark x's and I can see slight differences, but that could be the hanging weight???
I think it is lovely and you should be very proud.
Judi