Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Straight Pins with numbers on the heads, where to get? >

Straight Pins with numbers on the heads, where to get?

Straight Pins with numbers on the heads, where to get?

Old 08-04-2014, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
I have these numbered pins and I use them but I'm not thrilled with them, especially for the price.

Maybe I just got a bad set, but on mine, several pins had burrs I had to sand down, and some of the numbers are only partially printed and/or are smeared. Also the numbers are only on one side, which is annoying.

Also, these pins aren't steel - they don't stick to magnets. Since all of my pincushions are magnetic, this also annoys me.

I wouldn't buy them again. I would probably just mark flower-head pins instead, if I didn't already have these or if I had it to do over.
Thanks for letting us know!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:24 AM

You can also get the number beads at Hobby Lobby. And they have safety pins that don't have the wire circle at the bottom, so you can push the bead to the catch side, which leaves the whole point side to pin with.

You can buy the flower head pins at Joann's, Hobby Lobby, your LQS (though they will be more expensive there). I like them because they are long, thin and sharp.

Also, Fons & Porter have pins shaped like flags that are directional arrows. I've never really seen the use for them, but someone must buy them or they wouldn't keep making them.

I use masking tape to mark my zip lock bags when I am cutting fabric to keep my pieces organized. That way, I can use the bags again -- I just put another piece of masking tape on top of the old one. I also labelled my paper scissors with masking tape -- take a piece twice the size you need, fold it around the handle and press the sticky sides together before writing on it.

Personally, I use the smallest size Post-it notes (2"x1-1/2") and cut them so they are 1/2" x 1-1/2". That way, you get 4 per sheet. I'll take 4 or 5 from the pad, put them under my Shape Cut and cut them with my rotary cutter.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by katier825 View Post
I wrote on my flat flower head pins with a fine point sharpie.
This is what I do and I think it work well.