Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ? Straight Pins

Normally when I use straight pins, if they leave holes, I can just use a puff of steam and they're gone. This time I have holes all over the place! Is there a certain brand of straight pins that are better than others? Or, could it be the material I'm using on this project.

Thanks.

Sounds like the material might be the problem this time. I use the yellow glass head thin quilting pins & like you said a shot of steam usually takes care of any holes. I use the very fine silk pins for sewing over joined seams as my machine sews over them if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by donnajean
    I use the yellow glass head thin quilting pins & . . . .
    These are the pins that I use and very rarely have problems with residual holes. And I just bought a whole new crop of them from Missouri Quilt. They have the box of 100 for $1.50. I added them to the Daily Deal that I bought last week. I was able to get 1000 of $15.00. And I think it is a worthy investment.

It sounds like it's the material this time. The newer materials are not of the same quality as we've had in the past. I used to used just any old pins and still do most of the time. I have recently purchased the tiny applique pins. I also plan on getting some of the fine silk pins that are very fine and have sharp tips.

Have you tried to spray a bit of just water and then steam iron?

Keep us updated on any different attempts with this project.

Pam M

Thanks everyone! Hopefully JoAnn's will have the glass pins suggested, if not I'll definitely have to order some.

PamM, thanks for the tip...worked like a charm!

I like to use flower head pins best.

Quote Originally Posted by Country1
    I like to use flower head pins best.
    That's my preference too :-)

I love the Clover extra fine patchwork pins...they are in a plastic type holder and come with the purple and yellow pins. They are so easy to sew over. The Iris extra fine silk pins are also lovely. I also use the short Iris extra fine applique pins and am very happy with them.

I found my favorite pins by accident. I found some with buttons on the end. I purchased them to put in a gift pin cushion just for show. I discovered that they are BUTTAH even on batiks, which I usually have a bit of trouble pinning. I found them in the sewing notions section of JoAnns. Not in the quilt section.

As a sewer of girls clothing before I became a quilter. I always use silk pins, they are very thin and go in smoothly, make no holes, are not as long as quilting pins. I use them for lining up seams and blocks.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast