Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Straight pins >
  • Straight pins

• Straight pins

Old 01-08-2010, 03:41 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by quilter 1234
    what about magnets near computer sewing machines.... I have heard they can mess them up.... for that reason I have stayed away from magnetic pincushions.... It would be my luck I would be using one and forget and get it too close..... Does anybody know about this. Quilter 1234
    Actually the magnet should not affect it if it is a couple of feet away. I know that is a long distance for your arm. But at least you can own one.
    Old 01-08-2010, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
    I tend to toss my old pins when they get dull or bent. I tend to get an old pill bottle with the safety cap on them and fill it with all my old pins. When the bottle is filled, I can toss the bottle safely knowing the pins won't hurt anyone in the plastic pill bottle.
    What a good idea - keeps everyone safe. I was told by my grandmother that if you put steel wool in a pin cushion it will keep the pins sharp - so I make my own with the steel wool, a scrap of batting over it, then one of my test quilt blocks. I rarely have a dull pin, just the occasional bent one.
    Old 01-08-2010, 03:59 PM

I toss them out when my pins are bent or dull. I use an empty prescription bottle with a child proof cap to store the disposed ones until the bottle is full. Then I acan safely throw them away.
    Old 01-08-2010, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Quilting Aggi
    I tend to toss my old pins when they get dull or bent. I tend to get an old pill bottle with the safety cap on them and fill it with all my old pins. When the bottle is filled, I can toss the bottle safely knowing the pins won't hurt anyone in the plastic pill bottle.
    I do the same thing, course I have enough pill bottles for many. I also put my batteries in the pill bottles, here in our area there are laws about throwing pins and needles away loose. So I have always been careful.

I make my own pin cushions but I use sand in mine. I think it keeps them sharper than the sawdust and I don't seem to have to toss as many pins. But with the sand it's not so often and it pulls any moisture from my hands off the pins.

Hugs,
    Sharon
    Old 01-08-2010, 04:08 PM

I like my magnetic one too but I never thought of it being a problem for my sewing machine. I wonder how far away you should keep it from the machine....
    Old 01-08-2010, 08:34 PM

I have magnetic pin trays with all my machines. The machines also have lexan extension tables. I have kept my trays at the end of the ex. table, (18" to 24") away and I've never had any trouble.