Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilt Advice? >

String Quilt Advice?

String Quilt Advice?

Old 02-09-2009, 04:40 PM

String quilts are lots of fun!

For variation, consider using the same color fabric for the first strip of each block (the diagonal strip/string you start in the center with). That will give you some uniformity, and will also give you a diamond shape when the blocks are sewn together.

Another option is to start w/ a rectangular foundation rather than a square one. Your strings will then form a diamond shape.

If you look in webshots, you should be able to find lots of examples. A warning: They can be addictive!
Old 02-13-2009, 06:54 AM

I love string quilts and Crazy Quilts. I use an UGLY fabric for the base.
Everyone has a fabric they have no ideas why they bought it or even aquired it. Even one a little heavier is good to use , then you can use a lighter weight batting.
These quilts are so much fun. I cut my squares first and then have at it.
Enjoy :-)
Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
if the scraps are too small for the strings can I join them together to make them longer? I guess this will give a real scappy look but I don't think he'll mind! Which is best for foundation, paper or cloth? I guess you tear the paper out after you've sewn it but leave the cloth in? is it hard to quilt through a double layer of cloth? i hand quilt so have to think of my poor fingers! Maybe I could try the batting as foundation idea, I've made log cabin blocks this way and it worked well; any ideas or tips gratefully received!K x
K~
Yes, you can join scraps together to make longer strings--it will give you a really scrappy look!!

Since you are going to be hand quilting, I would use paper foundation. Just be sure that whatever paper you use does not "bleed" ink onto your fabric--that gets really messy!! If you use smaller stitches and then fold your paper on the stitching line, it "perforates" the paper and makes it easier to remove from the back of the fabric. That is a trick I use when paper piecing.

Hope this helps....
Old 02-13-2009, 07:42 AM

salisaquilter...where did that quilt on your avatar come from??I've never seen it before and it is too cute! Thanks-Skeat
Old 02-13-2009, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Skeat
salisaquilter...where did that quilt on your avatar come from??I've never seen it before and it is too cute! Thanks-Skeat
I made this back in the 70's, so don't remember where the pattern came from. I have it on my quilting room wall. Thank you for your interest
Sal
Old 02-13-2009, 10:48 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Thanks Marcia! I used up some muslin I had as foundation in the end so I'm EITHER going to just machine quilt in the ditch round the blocks OR do the hand quilting wearing welders' gauntlets!!!

K x