Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: String Quilt

The garden is starting to come in here in Alabama. I don't have time to get into a new indepth endeavor, so I started a string quilt with the full bag of selvedge and various other strips of cloth I had amassed. I made an interesting discovery ..... when I sewed my strips to a foundation, I didn't cut the left over cloth until I had several pieces sewed and pressed down. I ran the seam all the way to the end of the strips, and the resulting 2 or 3 strips sewed together (once pressed and cut) make wonderful beginnings for a crumb block!

Any pix? Sounds interesting.

I'd like to see pics also as I'm having a hard time visualizing this. I haven't made a crumb quilt before.

Oh, so you are cutting off the ends. So you get a strip that has small bits seamed together. cool.

Blog Entries
    What a fun and great discovery :D:D:D

I can't seem to upload pics on here. I have tried repeatedly. I am assuming it's because I have the dreaded dial-up.
    I have 2 huge plastic bags that I seperate my scraps into..one for strings or lengths of fabric, the other for smaller pieces that can't be used anywhere else. To make a string block, I placed 2 fabrics right sides together across the diagonal of a background block. I NEVER cut the lengths to exactly fit the backing square, therefore I always have extra fabric hanging off the sides. I sew, press, sew & press another. THEN I make my cuts to even the edges up. It results in 2 or 3 pieces of fabric sewn together, ranging from an 1 inch to 3 or 4....depends on how close I cut them when I run off the side. These go in my crumb bag, so when I do get around to making them, I have several beginnings to blocks.

Sounds like a real treat you enjoyed.

I have dial up too. Have to go to my BF and load pictures there!