Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilt WITHOUT Foundation Piecing? >

String Quilt WITHOUT Foundation Piecing?

String Quilt WITHOUT Foundation Piecing?

Old 10-24-2011, 04:54 AM
Swap Hosts

Some months ago I was at a tag sale at the home of a fabric designer. Among the many wonderful finds were several HUGE tubs of fabric strips in varying lengths and all exactly 2" wide. So I sorted them out into color groups and started sewing them side by side. Then I realized that I probably should have pieced them on a foundation. Too late! Anyway, I'd like to make random slices through them and insert a contrasting strip for interest. Should I just slice away or put some sort of backing on it or maybe just starch heavily?

I wish I could remember where I saw it on TV - I think it was Fons and Porter - someone was doing something similar and I guess because of the "undisciplined" nature of the quilt, the hostess looked distinctly uncomfortable!

The first one I am working on is mean to be a utilitarian throw for my new love seat for when the dogs try to sneak up onto it. My walls are hunter green and I was thinking of putting strips of burgundy throughout, but maybe not.

The second one will be made from a wonderfully riotous collection of bright batiks. I can't wait to do that one!
Old 10-24-2011, 04:59 AM

oh my Krystyna!! what a great find! I'll have to watch this thread - I've always wondered about string quilts without using foundation.

I can't wait to see the fabrics and what you make with them :)

Kris
Old 10-24-2011, 05:02 AM

I think I have seen a blog where they do it without paper. I'd think starching them would help before cutting. Go for it!!!

you could also check out some of the tutorials on the Missouri Quilt Company.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:05 AM

I would starch the snot out of them, especially if you're going to be dealing with bias. I think that would be easier than sewing them onto foundations. If you sew them on foundations, how would you do it? Would you sew over each existing seam? Or just sew the foundations on around the border of the block? You could use a fusible interfacing, but then your quilt would be kind of stiff....

Good luck!
Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 AM

I made a strip quilt with the blocks finishing out at 9" and did not use a foundation. I sewed the strips together, and then placed my template on the strips diagonally, and cut. I have to admit after I got it started, I was nervous about not using a foundation, but I starched the heck out of the fabric before I cut, then starched the blocks. I took it to a long arm quilter to be quilted, and she did not have a problem with it, but I think if I ever made another one with that size blocks, I would use a foundation, especially if I were going to slash the blocks and reposition them.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:31 AM

I made a strip quilt with the blocks finishing out at 9", and did not use a foundation. I sewed the strips together, and ten placed my template on the strips diagonally, and cut. I have to admit after I got it started, I was nervous about not using a foundation, but I starched the heck out of the fabric before I cut, then starched the blocks. I took it to the LAQ to be quilted, and she did not have a problem with it, and the quilt is quite nice. But I think if I made another one with that size blocks, especially if I were going to slash the blocks and reposition them, I would use a foundation.
Old 10-24-2011, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish
I would starch the snot out of them, especially if you're going to be dealing with bias. I think that would be easier than sewing them onto foundations. If you sew them on foundations, how would you do it? Would you sew over each existing seam? Or just sew the foundations on around the border of the block? You could use a fusible interfacing, but then your quilt would be kind of stiff....

Good luck!

Peckish, you make me laugh!!! Is "starch the snot out of them" an official quilting term????
Old 10-24-2011, 05:41 AM
Swap Hosts

As long as you're not actually USING the snot ... Oh my. I didn't say that, did I?
Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 AM

Lol too much time spent with my boys, maybe? Which reminds me of a joke - how can you tell the difference between broccoli and boogers?

Kids won't eat broccoli.

Okay, I'm ducking all the tomatoes you guys are throwing at me... :)
Old 10-24-2011, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

i can't wait to see your creation with these strips