Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: String Quilts: Which do you prefer?

String Quilts: Which do you prefer?

A center string the same color on every block, OR random center strings? I'm trying to decide which to make for my first one.

Blog Entries
    I like the same colour on every block, it seems to give the eyes somewhere to focus. I struggle a bit with scrappy so it gives the quilt some unity
    The biggest risk is the one not taken

Blog Entries
    hmmm. never really thought about it. it's on my bucket list... so will try to remember that about the same center color.
    Nancy in western NY

go to Bonnie Hunter's site Quiltville and see all the choices she has. She has a new book out with all string quilts and they are gorgeous.
    Judi in Ohio

I too perfer the center strings to be all the same thourgh the quilt....really does help to settle the eye....and black is my favorite!!! Use light/white/cream strings on both sides for a stained glass look!!! A real black and white beauty!!

I have done string quilts both ways and I like the center strip the same color for some reason. I just finished one using random strips with flannels, not using the same in center and like it also, but I like center strips all the same.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

my quilt group did a whole bunch of these and we all liked the one with the same colour first string the best

I like center strip all the same; but then again.....I only do controlled scrappy.
    The will of God will never take you where the grace of God will not protect you.

depends upon how much scraps I have .... string quilts are good for depleting scraps.
    Make it a scrappy happy day!

I am working on a string quilt right now. In going through my string bag before I began, I found many pieces of red fabric. So I begin each block with a strip of red down the middle, then I finish with strings of all colors and patterns. It is addictive! That's all I want to do is to make string blocks. I place the red strips in four blocks in the shape of a diamond. I love it! I think the main thing with strings is just have fun. There are no rules!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast