Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
String Quilts >

String Quilts

String Quilts

Old 01-14-2015, 06:36 AM

Paper Princess thank you so much for putting in this link to Ditter's String Quilt I am going to start one, but I studied the directions and somehow, I am just not understanding how to put it together with the strips. I am a beginner and maybe I just need to start it and see about that when I get there. LOL As I don't have a large enough machine to quilt a large size quilt, I like the idea of quilt as you go method, the only part that worries me is putting it together with the strips, has anyone just made the blocks and sewn those together into a pattern and then put a backing and batting and then tied it ???? that is probably my speed for a strip quilt. Yup, I am chicken LOL
Old 01-14-2015, 07:22 AM

I just grab whatever from my bag of goodies and as long as it isn't the same fabric as something else already in that block - and it's long enough to fit for the next piece, it's golden. I don't care if it "clashes" as when the block is done and used it's so colorful nobody sees that. I also use some selvages sometimes to add a little kick. Some people don't like them- but I think they make it "SEW" interesting! When I cut my blocks I sometimes can use the scraps for other strings or for crumbs. My waste really gets used until it goes into the doggie bed bag because it is just too small for the crumb bag. I'd just sew strings and crumbs and be happy forever.........
Old 01-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Here's one I sewed with 6.5 inch squares of newspaper...
Attached Thumbnails rainbow-splash.jpg  
Old 01-14-2015, 07:42 AM

I love making string blocks. I am not a huge fan of crazy uncontrolled scrappy, so when I pull a string from the bin, I make sure it at least goes with the one before. But they are so fun to make.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:56 AM
Power Poster

Here is a nice video. I have not yet used the paper but have made string quilts using light weight squared up xerox paper and did not use a lapel stick but just layed the center strip down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZ02NM9-USw
Old 01-14-2015, 08:17 AM

Here is an opportunity to work on your OCD! Just give it a try with ONE random block and see how it feels. I adore string quilts no matter how they are made. You will be surprised how easy and gratifying it is.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:25 AM

Bonnie Hunter works on just 2 blocks at a time.Her website gives directions for this and it really is faster then chain piecing several before you cut them apart and add another piece.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:10 AM

I make string quilts all 1 1/2" width and sash them in black. I like that look.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

I made a string quilt, following Ditter's Tutorial, QAYG. It is on my bed as I write this. I did an uncontrolled scrappy, repeating some of the strings. It is gorgeous. The more the colors and prints the better.
Old 01-14-2015, 10:34 AM

I taught a string piecing class and after everyone stewed & fussed over which color strings they were going to use (matched) I had them put them in a brown paper bag and then trade with the person to the right/left of them. You should have heard the groans! After you get used to it, it really is freeing. Of course I never had any problem being free to start with. My mother was a string quilter from waaaay back. I do like to have the center strip the same color because of the secondary design it makes but it's not a must.