Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stringy Question

I am wondering why everything I see/read about string quilting directs you to piece onto paper or a muslin foundation? I'm sure there must be some benefit to it or everyone wouln't be doing it that way,...but I just stitch, press, trim,...stitch, press, trim,...and then trim to whatever size block or shape I want and go on to the next one.

What am I missing out on?

Blog Entries
    Nothing really :D Some just find it easier to sew smaller, narrower pieces to a foundation of some kind. :D:D:D

Quote Originally Posted by amma
    Nothing really :D Some just find it easier to sew smaller, narrower pieces to a foundation of some kind. :D:D:D
    Well (slapping the side of my head!) Duh! Yep, now I understand! :idea:

Plus most strings are sewn to the foundation on the diagonal making all the edges bias edges.

They sew the strips onto a foundation because there might be some bias cuts. With scraps, it's harder to tell what is on grain or off grain so the foundation keeps the strips from stretching and causing your blocks to go all wonky. Also, some string blocks are made on the diagonal so all the outside edges when squared off will be bias edges.

I sewed mine to newsprint once,while it made fast sewing when I tore away the paper lots of seams split.

Quote Originally Posted by BKrenning
    They sew the strips onto a foundation because there might be some bias cuts. With scraps, it's harder to tell what is on grain or off grain so the foundation keeps the strips from stretching and causing your blocks to go all wonky. Also, some string blocks are made on the diagonal so all the outside edges when squared off will be bias edges.
    I guess the only reason I haven't run into this problem so far is that I can usually recognize grain (thanks only to an excellent bifocal prescription from the local eye-guy). So I will definately keep this in mind.

Thanks very much for your help everyone!

I just finished a string X (from quiltville.com) and started on the foundation paper....and ended up about 10 blocks in realizing that I didn't need it. But I was sewing straight seams and in the end just cutting the 4 corners on the bias. I just sewed strips together until I got at least the length I needed (10 1/2 inches)...pressed and then trimmed...But I also used at least 5 inches when in the end they all trimmed to 4 1/2. So I had some wiggle room to get them straight after sewing.

I think it would matter more if you (1) had smaller strings than I was using or (2) were going to sew them diagonally...it would make it easier, I think.

eta: Sometimes it is truly a personal preference and sometimes it is because it truly needs it....on mine, I found it to be a preference. But I tried it first to see if it made a difference!

Sometimes sewing to a "base" prevents stretching of strip when it is sewn on the bias. At least this is why I use paper foundation. But if what you are doing works for you, I say go for it. :)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raedar63
    I sewed mine to newsprint once,while it made fast sewing when I tore away the paper lots of seams split.
    I think dipping your finger in water and running it along the seams first would have helped. You would give it a minute or so for the water to weaken the paper right along the seam.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast