Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: strip piecing

Blog Entries
    I have a problem that is driving me crazy. Instructins say sew a 3 x 20 strip and a 8 x 20 inch piece together horizonally, then cut entire piece into 2 inch wide stips. When I go to use them the seam where the two different pieces are sewed together invariably have come loose on both sides of the 2 inch stip. I'm always having to go back and resew them together as I stip piece . ANY HELP OUT THERE?

maybe your stitches are too long, the shorter the stitch the more handling it can take without comming apart.

Glennis, I think Kathy's got the right idea. Most machines use an average 2.5 stitch setting. Try adjusting down to a 2 or lower. Your stitches will be much closer together. Also, do any seam-pressing when the fabric's still in one long strip, then cut your 2" pieces. Don't worry too much about the look of the edges where you've cut these apart. When you sew them into the block you're making, the quarter-inch seams should overlap and lock the stitches in place.

I agree that smaller stitches are the answer. Also, be careful not to tug on the cut strips too much before they are sewed back together. If the smaller stitches don't help, check your tension top and bottom. Welcome to the board. We are a great bunch to get to know!

HI. Be sure to set (press, not iron) your seams with steam before opening out your strip (that is, just like it comes out of your machine with right sides together) and then pressing the seam to one side. The first press helps your seam thread fibers set or lock into the fabric fibers. I've done some of this before, find this helps. I like to hang cut strips on a plastic hangar to help keep them from being handled too much. Not to mention keeping them out of cat-reach. Good luck with your project.

joy
    Yes, small stitches is the answer.... I learnt that in class when I made a bargello quilt....

Quote Originally Posted by glennis
    ANY HELP OUT THERE?
    hope you are ok, glennis. I noticed this is your only post and it is dated in August. Maybe you are like me and get lost in cyberland sometimes. Stop in and say hi. :D

piney