Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Strip Tube Ruler do you? >

Strip Tube Ruler do you?

Strip Tube Ruler do you?

Old 07-26-2012, 09:19 AM

Default Strip Tube Ruler do you?

Yesterday while shopping, I saw the pattern Transitions by Reily Blake I believe...Anyways the shop was out of this pattern. The lady suggested that I purchase the Strip Tube Ruler as it makes making this pattern easier....They had this quilt made up and while studing it, I really don't think one would need the ruler...besides, why would I want to purchase the ruler without a pattern. Love the pattern and they had it done up in batiks oh yummy....anyways has anyone made this pattern and did you really need the ruler???

here is the pattern I'm talking about http://www.cozyquilt.com/Aspx/Produc...?ProductID=612
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 AM

Location: A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....

No all you need is a ruler with a 45 degree line ...
Missouri quilt tube tute
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vOWSp0mTTqE

OR

Yes if you are a gadget junkie like I am .. Lol

Last edited by luvTooQuilt; 07-26-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:30 AM

I haven't made it, but you're right---"Yummy"!
Old 07-26-2012, 10:31 AM

Haven't used or even own a tube ruler but did see a tute on youtube. Maybe if you look at it you will have an idea of whether or not it is something you would need.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:54 AM

Have that pattern and I do have the ruler and love using it. BUT - the pattern is also a freebie from Hoffman - http://www.hoffmanfabrics.com/EDocs/...%20pattern.pdf

I'm actually working on this one right now.... but not in batiks.

Good Luck!

Last edited by WTxRed; 07-26-2012 at 10:56 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:18 AM
Power Poster

I have the strip tube ruler. It's marked to go with the strip set so it's faster for me to use. I would buy another one and I guess I will have to as mine stays loaned out to guild members so much.
Seems the cost pattern is the same as the free one, just different colors? Kinda throws copyrights right out the window? What's the deal with just changing colors and you have an original pattern?

Last edited by BellaBoo; 07-26-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
Power Poster

The patterns are slightly different in that the Cozy Quilts one uses shading in the squares. Most likely the directions tell you exactly how many strip sets to make in which shades to end up with the right number of shaded squares. Not sure if that is worth the cost of the retail pattern, though!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:45 AM

This is the pattern my son loves and wants me to make for him! (the shaded one on the Cozy Quilts website). I was also wondering if I needed the ruler or not, did watch the tutorial on Cozy Quilts as well as the one on Missouri Star Quilt Co. I am thinking the main difference is that with the strip tube ruler from Cozy Quilts - it has markings to adjust the size of the block? Is that correct BellaBoo? Otherwise looks like a ruler with a 45 angle works the same. Or, thinking here, using the ruler with the 45 angle - do you just adjust the size of the strips to get a different size block - the 45 angle line still goes on the seam line? Trying to remember how the strip tube ruler worked, trying to picture my regular ruler and fabric - but I am very visual - need to lay it out, see it - to get it!

Hmmm...like the free pattern, but of course my son likes the shading on the Cozy Quilts one. I have never done a quilt with that kind of shading in and out of the light and dark colors. That is what makes the quilt. Guess I will have to ponder if I think I can get that right. My son likes the Coffee Cake batiks from Timeless Treasures (http://www.fatquartershop.com/store/...76&Parent_Ids=). Am hoping I can find this in jelly rolls, would save having to cut all of those strips!
Old 07-26-2012, 11:59 AM
Power Poster

This may help in deciding about the ruler: http://www.rndv.com/PDFs/STRBonusGuide.pdf
Old 07-26-2012, 12:07 PM

Very helpful guide Bellaboo! Yes, that does help.