Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
strong words of encouragment are so wonderful to hear. >

strong words of encouragment are so wonderful to hear.

strong words of encouragment are so wonderful to hear.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:01 PM

My mom and I traveled several hours to my aunts fabric shop to visit and and get fabrics. I had 3 tops for her that I had sent down here to this wonderflu longarm quilter and brought 2 of them here to my aunts to give back to me. she did lovely work on my tops. She asked me where I got those patterns for my quilts because she had never seen anything like them before, I told her that I design those quilts myself with my handy dandy notebook. She was blown away by my designs and insist I them published. she said they are too good not to share them. I was in shock that she thought they were that good, She told me to design and design and design. She made me feel real good. What are your opinion? Should I or not? Most pics that I have posted here are my own designs. I dont have the first clue what to do here.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:03 PM

Post some pics so we can see!!
Old 03-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes!

Your heart strings quilt is beautiful-as are your others. Give it a try--who knows--soon we may all be saying "I knew her when......"
Old 03-06-2010, 08:10 PM

If you go to her profile and then to her created topics, you will see some of her quilts. Great job dbarbey!! I agree, you should send some of your patterns to some of the quilting magazines for consideration. I do like them a lot.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:20 PM

Why not do it? I'm sure your aunt would be thrilled to sell your patterns in her quilt shop.
Old 03-06-2010, 09:41 PM
Power Poster

I say go for it!
Old 03-06-2010, 11:03 PM

Your quilts are stunning! Can't help on how to go about it, but you most definitely should so that "creatively challenged" quilters like me can benefit!
Old 03-07-2010, 03:39 AM

Type up your patterns, look at other patterns to see how hey are written. Have some one test them for you to be sure they are correct, then print them at kinkos or something. Have your aunt sell a few and see how they do!! Can't hurt. I have a good relationship with my LQS, and I plan on doing this very thing with a few of my designs.

Rachel
Old 03-07-2010, 04:47 AM

Your work is indeed gorgeous. If you think you'd enjoy publishing your patterns, I say go for it! On the other hand, if you don't want the pressure of having to put together patterns for others, getting them published, etc., just continue what you've been doing and enjoy having one of a kind pieces.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:05 AM

dbarbey I think you do amazing work. I went and looked at the pictures you posted here and I get such a sense of contentment and balance from looking at your quilts.

Since a professional (shop owner - she is sure to know the market) encourages you, and you sound as if you like the idea of sharing your designs with others, I'd say take it into your heart, cherish it, and explore how you want to go about it.

If you feel like turning your designs into patterns for others, do. If you'd rather put your time and fun into making more and more designs instead and leave the precticalities to others, perhaps find a trusted friend who already loves to make designs into patterns, or is keen to learn. You could make it a shared journey together, or go on your own if your prefer, or a combination of both.

Start looking at websites, books, bookshelves and pattern boxes in quilt shops with a new eye: where, how in what shapes might you like to see your work? Allow yourself to dream, and take steps in your own time.

Ask questions - at quilt shows, online... if you were to take a class with a published author for instance, you could find a moment during tea break to ask her whether she has any pointers for you, for starting out. You might even consider contacting a few people whose work you like a lot, through their websites. Most people are just glad to help. If someone isn't, you haven't lost anything by asking.

Just some ideas.

Good luck!! And good fun!!! :-D