Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Stuck on Appliques

Cool Stuck on Appliques

I am looking for a pattern that has a lot of qpplique, I am most interested in 3D . I would like to apply the applique to a whole cloth. I am stuck most appliques are flat cut where I would like to make all those nice rose buds, daffodils that reach out to you. If you have any suggestions for a pattern I would be very greatful. I have done a lot of quilting and now it is time to spend twirling fabric and making a show piece just for me!! Imagine that!!

Thank you

Jane

Power Poster
    Google flower ruching (sp). It is a method of using ribbon or fabric strips to make 3D flowers that were included in Baltimore album quilts. You might also look for origami fabric flowers.

I was at a retreat, many many moons ago, where somebody had a quilt with dimensional appliqued flowers and baskets. She called it "the Conway." I think the book in this link may be that quilt.

http://www.amazon.com/Conway-Album-Q.../dp/0881954799

Blog Entries
    Check out Joan Shay of petalplay.com. Absolutely beautiful work!

http://petalplay.com

I have a book with orgami blocks. I made one a long time ago and it was really quite easy, but looked hard. When I washed it, the folded parts came unfolded. I must have done something wrong. It is in my pile of future quilts. I threw the first one out. Now I wish I had it.
    Sue

I have a book, and took a class from the author. the title is " Into the garden" by Cindy Zlotnik Oravecz. On the cover it says.... Realistic, Three Dimensional Flowers, Faster by the strip. I loved the class and learned alot and its very easy.Ii wanted to do this for my crazy quilts. Can probably get a used one on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Applique-Quilt.../dp/0922705844 I made this quilt years ago, and Eleanor Burns uses the method where you trace your shapes on fusible interfacing, then lay this on your right sides of fabric & stitch. Slice the interfacing & pull your applique shape to the front, then press in place & stitch. There are alot of 3D flowers on it.

Quote Originally Posted by NanaCsews2 View Post
    Check out Joan Shay of petalplay.com. Absolutely beautiful work!

http://petalplay.com
    Oh!! I just love her work!! Beautiful!!
    Marie

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.
    A smile is something you can't give away; it always comes back to you.

My avatar is a 3-D applique, when I get home will add the name of the book I got it from. Flowers,birds, fruit etc.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

The name of the book is Three-Dimensional Applique and Embroidery Embellishment by Anita Shackelford.
    Hope this helps.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.