Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuck on one thing... >

Stuck on one thing...

Stuck on one thing...

Old 07-16-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by toverly View Post
Yes, I am stuck working on tiny pieces also. There is something relaxing about not having to think about it, just sew.
I agree with this one hundred percent. I just put together a top from these scrappy no brainers. I had a box of squares from samples I had sewn up to test pieced patterns. I just added bits and pieces to fluff it all up to a piece I could trim to 9.5 square. then I kept going just making a pile of scraps, grabbing and sewing one to the other, trimming until I had enough to make a full size top. They will be quilted later. I even got four placemats, and two zipper pouches out of the deal. It felt good at the end of a sewing day, to just grab and sew as way to turn off my brain so I could turn off the light and move on to the next thing.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:43 AM

Sometimes I love to just set down with scraps and block patterns and try making blocks I have never made before. It is like working puzzles for me and so relaxing and fun. Now I have a box full of different sized blocks I need to find use for.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:49 AM

Relaxation is the name of that game.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by OhCanada View Post
I agree 100%!
Me too, what she said. I also like sewing the different colors together. I love piecing the strings and also the crumbs.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:57 AM
Power Poster

I agree with bearisgray, it's better than playing solitaire and far more satisfying and productive. It's all about the fabric and what we do with it, whether it's sewing small pieces of fabric into larger pieces of fabric, making a quilt or making a dress for our wonderful DGD, it's whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 PM

Mindless sewing is a great way for me to figure out those little problems that come up every so often. Or if I'm feeling out of sorts -keeps me from biting some innocent persons head off. I have always used sewing as a stress reliever. If my door is closed its a sign that I need to be left alone.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:53 PM

I take my scraps and put them in a bag, then when I am burnt out on real quilts (it doesn't happen often), I have large muslin rectangles that have scraps all sewn on then blanket stitched around the loose edges. Those will someday be an amazing crazy quilt. No design, no structure, just lots of colors and patterned fabrics joined with bright variegated blanket or other fancy ass stitches. I'll finish it before I die, and if I don't... oh well...

tim in san jose
Old 07-16-2015, 09:02 PM

Sounds like you needed a break to just play. Making something out of what would be nothing to others can be such fun.
I am stuck on cutting out these stupid ruffles for a bag. It is going to be a beauty, but I have marked forever. Guess I just better put them together. Will post pics, The bag I was carrying with me today at WM, some lady wanted me toempty out so she could buy it from me for a LOT of money. Didn't do it, but got an invite to a show and sale in Nappa next month.
Old 07-17-2015, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Do you ever find yourself stuck on doing one task? Lately (about a month now) I have been stuck on sewing small pieces of fabric scraps together until I have large pieces. Then I cut from those. I have done enough squares for a small lap quilt (haven't put it together yet), a round table topper with 8 matching place mats, and now just sewing scrap pieces together with no plan in mind....just want to keep sewing scrap pieces together! I have so many other projects to finish, but this just 'calls' to me! What's up?
Oh boy, that's me.....I find making new fabric so relaxing and stress less ..... that's why I keep making crumb quilts. And ......that's why I have so many UFOs.....��
Old 07-17-2015, 07:28 AM

Seems like right now you need to do something calming & theraputic that also gives you a feeling of accomplishment. I say go with it! You'll let yourself know when you're ready to move on to one of those projects-they'll be waiting for the right time-enjoy this part of your journey!