Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!! >

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Stuff you Use for Quilting, that isn't originally for Quilting!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:37 AM

Little photo album books to hold my photo of each item and information on it.
Husband's metal ruller up to yard stick as I cut hunks out of any wooden ones. (he doesn't complain much he died 21 yrs ago)
Of course the computer to send photos to the blog and my friends/family from my digital camera (these are all newer inventions) LOL
Old 09-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MrsWiggs
Ok, I'll ask! What do dairy farmers use them for?
I was waiting :) A full explanation from Wikipedia.
A cow magnet is a preventive veterinary medical device for cattle. Cow magnets are strong alnico magnets about 1cm by 8cm (0.4 by 3.1 inches) in the shape of a smoothed rod.
A rancher or dairy farmer feeds a magnet to the animal; the magnet settles in the rumen or reticulum and remains there for the life of the animal.
When the cow grazes, it often consumes and swallows what is called tramp iron: baling and barbed wire, staples, nails, and other metallic objects. These objects are indigestible and would lodge in the reticulum and cause inflammation resulting in lower milk production (for dairy cattle) or lower weight gain (for feeder stock). This condition is called hardware disease.
The cow magnet attracts such objects and prevents them from becoming lodged in the animal's tissue. While the resultant mass of iron remains in the cow's rumen, it does not cause the severe problems of hardware disease. Cow magnets cannot be passed through a cow's 4th bonivial meta-colon.

And there you have it. (Cows have four "stomachs" which is why it is called a ruminant animal.)

Sorry QuiltE, didn't see your post! Your explanation better than Wiki!!! We give all our cows a magnet after they calf for the very first time (aka first calf heifers). We keep a record of each animal that's been given a magnet. And yes the compass trick ususally works. Works better when the GK put the compass back after they have been playing with it!! :roll:
Old 09-17-2011, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Good job OK .... I always forget about Wiki and it's wise words! :)

And for others .... betchya never thought you'd be learning this in this thread! Look at all the benefits of being on the Quilting Board!!!!!!!!!! :thumbup:
Old 09-17-2011, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by olebat
Originally Posted by fayeberry
Would someone please explain about using red glasses....never heard of this and can't figure it out..?????
When trying to determine the color value of fabrics, the color often "obscures" the vision. By viewing the fabric through red glasses, the color is muted, and only the value is obvious. This enables the designer to select color values which contrast each other, giving more dimension to the design. Close values tend to blend together, diminishing the design. If you know the quilt you are making is destined to be viewed by someone who is color blind, selecting high contrast value is particularly helpful. The red glasses make this process much easier.
Using red to look at your fabrics works for all colors except red, then you should use green. I used a green plastic sleeve from a page protectors pack and stapled it to a cardboard frame. Works great!
Old 09-17-2011, 01:38 PM

What are the red glasses for? Something to do with seeing the color in the fabric? I haven't heard of this.
Old 09-17-2011, 01:46 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by n103136
What are the red glasses for? Something to do with seeing the color in the fabric? I haven't heard of this.
If you read the previous posts, you'll see it explained!
Old 09-17-2011, 02:03 PM

I missed this question. What is a no no for a quilt room.
Old 09-17-2011, 02:10 PM

Like the 3rd hand idea.
Old 09-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Power Poster

I missed this question. What is a no no for a quilt room.
??????????
Old 09-17-2011, 07:42 PM
elm

When I was taking painting lessons, one of the things I learned was that having a variety of values in a painting was very important. The same is true for quilting. If you are not sure there is enough contrast or change of value, there are two ways to check. One is to look at the painting or quilt sample through a red lens or film. What this does is give everything a red color so only the value changes are noticable. If there isn't much difference you know it would be best to change some of the values. The other way is to make a copy of the painting or quilt sample in black and white. Again same thing. Your looking to find light, medium and dark, not all one tone.
Originally Posted by QuiltE
If you read the previous posts, you'll see it explained!