Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
successful class >

successful class

successful class

Old 07-10-2016, 08:38 PM

Default successful class

I taught a simple quilt class yesterday and think it was a great success. Our Guild hosts beginner classes, but so many beginners don't get their sampler quilt finished in time for our show because they struggle to do the actual finishing, so we decided to have a very simple quilt class (we used a MSQC pattern) that can be put together in just a few hours and then spent the afternoon focused on how to sandwich and do some quilting on the DSM. While not all the participants were beginners, those that were, I think, really did learn enough to empower them to move forward on both this and their beginner class quilt.

I know some Board members have had negative experiences in classes, but I love how my guild really encourages anyone that wants to tackle teaching a class to do so and ALL of us learn from it because we organize them so that there is lots of interaction. I'd never used a Supreme Slider but one of the ladies brought her's and shared how it worked. Just a great experience.
Old 07-10-2016, 08:58 PM

So glad to hear this. I took a beginning quilting class several years ago that was advertised that we would have a finished quilt at the end. While I did learn a lot, it was clear by week six that no one would finish . We were shown how to sandwich but not how to quilt and bind. Our project was a lap quilt--too big for a first timer to master in 8 lessons with a chatty teacher and chatty students.
Old 07-11-2016, 04:39 AM
Power Poster

I believe when you have a bunch of quilting friend together, there is such a joy of sharing and learning too.
Old 07-11-2016, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Sounds like the class pacing was well thought out. When I took my beginning class, it was broken into 2 sessions: Quilting 1 and 2. You would enroll in the classes separately. The first class was basic piecing, and at the end of the course you either had a finished top for a small throw, or at least had the skills to finish the top. The second class was finishing. You brought your finished top from the first session, and they told us about batting (types, pros/cons etc.) sandwiching, basics domestic machine quilting and how to bind a couple different ways. Having the courses separated allowed slower students to finish their top at their own speed and just register when they were ready.
Old 07-11-2016, 08:02 AM

I have taught adult and children classes. While the adult class were 2 - 3 hr sessions, the binding was another class. With the children, classes were like summer camp, 9am - 12noon, Monday - Thursday. They were taught how to achieve straight stitching ( some never did, but they tried and had fun) all worked together as we tied them as they finished the top. By thursday most were finished except for the binding and that is difficult even for an adult, so I bound it for them.

So, please feel encouraged, you do learn as you prepare your classes. You will be thanked by these students, I still receive notes thanking me for teaching them the basics. When they make a four-patch quilt and their friend are all impressed it encourages them to continue with quilting.
Old 07-12-2016, 07:19 AM

I'm glad you posted your topic here. What pattern did you use?

I've been thinking of teaching a quilt class that could be finished in one session (or perhaps 2). I thought this Easy Starburst pattern might work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grD...em-subs_digest
Comments?

Readers: Could you suggest other patterns that would work well.

Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 07:31 AM

sounds like you planned it well. Nothing like a great class.
Old 07-12-2016, 08:22 AM

I love teaching - especially beginners or kids. I found the trick to be keeping it simple. You want them to finish whatever they are making. So depending on the time allowed, one completed block is ok. Then they can continue making blocks on their own or show them how to attach it to a tote bag. Schedule a later class for the continuing work. Too often a teacher will want a bit to much or not take into account the level of learning ability of that class. You can always add more if they are fast learners. I get so much from my students, it is what keeps me 'juiced'. I feel that working with folks just learning keeps us focused on the process thereby improving our work and keeping it fresh. Think about the feeling you get when a difficult block comes together. Now, picture students getting that same look when you have showed them how to take some random pieces of fabric and make a completed patterned block! It is such a great feeling.
Old 07-12-2016, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by thrums View Post
I'm glad you posted your topic here. What pattern did you use?

I've been thinking of teaching a quilt class that could be finished in one session (or perhaps 2). I thought this Easy Starburst pattern might work. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-grD...em-subs_digest
Comments?

Readers: Could you suggest other patterns that would work well.

Thanks!
Thrums, I think HSTs are not easy for beginners. All those seams need to be nested exactly for it to look nice. At the classes I taught, I asked the students to bring three yards of fabric: one yard light, one medium and one dark. They had the choice of making a Disappearing 9-Patch or a Rail Fence. There are others that are as easy: Warm wishes, Take Five etc.
We had three two hour classes. Class one was cutting, and sewing the top. Class two was sandwiching and quilting. Class three was binding. Those who did their "homework" got a finished quilt. The rest had the knowledge to finish by themselves. Most did.
Old 07-12-2016, 06:24 PM
Power Poster

So happy it went well for you.