Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggested Quilt Shops >

Suggested Quilt Shops

Suggested Quilt Shops

Old 04-07-2014, 12:12 PM

Default Suggested Quilt Shops

My husband and I will be going to Pigeon Forge TN in a few weeks for a car show. There are several Quilt Shops in the area. I was wondering if anyone has ever been there and which shops they would recomend.
Thanks
Carolyn D
Old 04-07-2014, 02:48 PM

If you are going to get to Gatlinburg, I HIGHLY recommend Mountain Stitches by Susan. Small shop but the owner and her husband are so nice and friendly! I spent over an hour in the shop mostly chatting with them! http://www.mountainstitchesbysusan.com

if you get to Sevierville, there is The Cherry Pit. I went there on recommendations from this board and it seemed to be well liked but I had a very disappointing visit. I was snubbed and ignored and didn't make a single purchase even though there was plenty of fabrics I would have purchased had my experience been more positive. http://www.quiltingatthecherrypit.com

Last edited by auntpiggylpn; 04-07-2014 at 02:52 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:38 PM

LOVE Mountain Stitches by Susan. The owner is so nice and usually her husband is in the shop folding fat quarters for her. They are a SUPER sweet couple! I'm also a big fan of Machine Quilting by Iva. Don't let the name fool ya - tons of fabric in this shop. It is off the Old Knoxville Highway (right along the Little Pigeon River). Also, if you're in the area, you might as well make the trek over to Maryville and visit Pappy's Quilting Place - very friendly staff here and also more fabric! Take the Chapman Highway out to Seymour and turn left at the Walgreens. There's a relatively new place - Redbarn Custom Quilts on the Dolly Parton Parkway in Sevierville. Again, the name might lead you to think they only do quilting for hire, but nice fabrics and patterns here too. Oh, can you tell I'm wishing I were going too?
If you visit Mountain Stitches by Susan in Gatlinburg, be sure to visit the little ice cream parlor across the hall. Best chocolate milkshake I've ever had. Have a blast!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by Julie R View Post
LOVE Mountain Stitches by Susan. The owner is so nice and usually her husband is in the shop folding fat quarters for her. They are a SUPER sweet couple! I'm also a big fan of Machine Quilting by Iva. Don't let the name fool ya - tons of fabric in this shop. It is off the Old Knoxville Highway (right along the Little Pigeon River). Also, if you're in the area, you might as well make the trek over to Maryville and visit Pappy's Quilting Place - very friendly staff here and also more fabric! Take the Chapman Highway out to Seymour and turn left at the Walgreens. There's a relatively new place - Redbarn Custom Quilts on the Dolly Parton Parkway in Sevierville. Again, the name might lead you to think they only do quilting for hire, but nice fabrics and patterns here too. Oh, can you tell I'm wishing I were going too?
If you visit Mountain Stitches by Susan in Gatlinburg, be sure to visit the little ice cream parlor across the hall. Best chocolate milkshake I've ever had. Have a blast!!!
oh yes, I forgot about Machine Quilting by Iva!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2014, 03:52 PM

If you get tired of the car show Knoxville has 4 good quilt shops. Be prepared for lots of traffic going into pigeon forge, last year it took us over an hour to go about three miles. There are lots of arts and craft shops around mountain stitches by Susan (her web page list the shops nearby that were apart of last years shop hop). Susan's shop is closed on Sunday.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:59 PM

Julie R mentioned Pappy's Quilting Place in Maryville. That is my LQS and I love it. The selection of fabric and quilting supplies is excellent. The thing that keeps me coming back is the outstanding staff. Each person who works there is wonderful! They quickly help me find exactly what I want. Please, try to visit Pappy's Quilting Place. I'll bet you will like it as much as I do.
Old 04-08-2014, 02:49 PM

One tip about the traffic - the Parkway can get very busy, especially with so many stoplights. But Veterans Blvd is a great alternate route. It runs from Main Street in Sevierville (Dolly Parton Parkway) to down past Dollywood and the Gatlinburg Golf Course. It runs almost parallel to THE Parkway but traffic flows much more smoothly. Also, when I was in the area in March for the Mountain Quiltfest, the Parkway into Gatlinburg was very busy. But again, there are backroads - Upper Middle Creek Rd out to Boogertown Rd which winds around into Powdermill. Look at the area on Mapquest and be prepared with alternate routes. Again, have a wonderful time and enjoy the beauty of the Smoky Mountains!!