Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions and advice PLEASE

Suggestions and advice PLEASE

I am making a small baby quilt. It will be 36" x 36". The baby is due the beginning of May - so it is a summer baby.

I am using flannel as the backing. Should I also use a thin cotton batting, or will the quilt be OK with just the flannel backing???

Suggestions....Advice

I have done it both ways and it is fine. Have fun.
    DonnaR
    Grammy to Isaiah and Ruth

I guess it depends on your weather, inside and out.

ali
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Banned
    I am wondering that if it is a summer baby why you have chosen flannel for the backing.
    However, I would still put a thin batting in the quilt. Afterall it will be used also in the winter and the batting will give it more stability and probably will look smoother on the top.

I often use just flannel if I want a lightweight quilt for baby. I think it is softer against the skin. However if you want it to look more"quilt-like" add a light batting. Don't forget, a newborn likes to be swaddled even in the summer when we are feeling warm.

I would still use a lightweight batting.

Missourri Quilt Company posted a new video on YouTube with instructions for a self binding baby blanket made with two pieces of flannel. She didn't use a batting in it. It is really cute and looks quick. I have made baby blankets from two pieces of flannel without batting. The flannel seems to cling together and doesn't need to be quilted together. In my opinion, babies always need a cuddly flannel blanket, regardless of the time of year. Most places are air-conditioned and often quite chilly. I think batting would be OK, if you like. Also, fine without.

I would use flannel for the backing as well as a good batting. Simply because they can use it to keep warm if they need it as well as for a pad on the floor when it is too warm to use. Dual purpose!
    Sewbeadit
    Montesano, Washington

Blog Entries
    The season doesn't matter. A quilt is used throughout the year. I would put a lite batt in it to give the stitching a better look, give the quilt a nice drape and warmth for cooler months. Congratulations too!
    peace
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    I didn't read all of the comments but my thoughts are this; its a summer baby and the quilt is rather small, so it may get the most use in the first 6 months. So I would make it lightweight. JMHO
    Joyce

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast