Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions  for a good steam iron >

suggestions for a good steam iron

suggestions for a good steam iron

Old 12-25-2014, 06:15 AM

The iron I am having problems with, is a Rowenta,(my second one) and they both spit and stain. I am sure it is the water I use, but I have tried all the water available to me. I won't buy another one, seems too much trouble for such a high price.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:08 AM

Dollar store cheapie girl chiming in here. Lol! I've discovered that the cheapie one I got at the $ store as a backup works very well and if it needs replaced eventually (think I've been using it about 4 years now) then no big deal. I did get the slightly more expensive one with auto shut off.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Rowenta gal here. Look at the wattage the various models go to....higher wattage...hotter iron. I personally like a heavy iron as it does a lot of the work for you. Read the directions and use the type water the maufacturer recommends...even within brands. Firm believer that makes a great difference in durability.

Yes it does! Love my Rowenta Eco. Talk about some serious steam!

Sandy
Old 12-25-2014, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Justok View Post
The iron I am having problems with, is a Rowenta,(my second one) and they both spit and stain. I am sure it is the water I use, but I have tried all the water available to me. I won't buy another one, seems too much trouble for such a high price.
Did you read their directions about water? Do you have old galvanized pipes?
Sandy
Old 12-26-2014, 07:35 AM

I have 2 Shark Professional 1800 watt irons and LOVE them. I think they were under $60 and I bought them at Walmart. I have had 3 Rowenta's (high price to lower price) and after about a year they start leaking. No way to repair them either. (I've tried).
Old 12-26-2014, 07:42 AM

That seems to be my problem, Finding the the right water to use. I am not sure if my tap water has the water softener going to it. I can't seem to get it cleaned out thoroughly. Oh the problem we have with the small things in life. Thanks for all your help and support.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:40 AM

I have hard water in my area, so I use distilled water in my irons. Help prevent all sorts of problems!

I have a Panasonic cordless iron that I LOVE. Had it about 2 years now and wouldn't get rid of it for the world. If it breaks, I'm buying another one just like it. Sort of tempted to buy a backup now, before they change it or stop making it.
Old 12-26-2014, 03:30 PM

I did some online shopping for a Panasonic and it sounds like what I am looking for, I think I will go shopping ,(whenever it stops snowing). Thank you for your good review.
Old 12-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Have 3 Rowentas- two Focus's and an older Professional- and love them all. Started a few years back with one Focus, that one leaked but I was able to fix it myself. Wanted a second one to keep upstairs for regular ironing. That leaked, but I contacted Rowenta and as it was within a 2 year period of purchase, they paid postage to send it to them to repair or replace at their discretion (I simply corresponded via email. They were fantastic!) Within 2 weeks I received a new version of the Focus. Had for a year now and no problems whatsoever. I use tap water only, drain out the water after unplugging for the day, and I clean it by shooting the steam out before using it to iron-every time it is turned on. I make sure to not begin ironing until the 'steam' noise has stopped when standing the iron upright, a 'must' before making a pass with the iron flat on the fabric. Never had spitting, never had leaking, iron always clean. We have hard water here-no water softener.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:39 PM

My DD just bought a new Hamilton Beach. I know it's inexpensive but it's a great steam iron. Heavy enough to press well and yet light enough to not wear you out. It does not have a non-stick ironing surface and we like it much better than a non-stick. I think it was about $49 bucks at Wal-Mart.