Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions on how to quilt these blocks >

Suggestions on how to quilt these blocks

Suggestions on how to quilt these blocks

Old 03-27-2016, 10:47 AM

Default Suggestions on how to quilt these blocks

I put together this top for my SIL who's children and their children (grandkids) drew on fabric sqs I cut up for them. I'm having a problem coming up with quilting the drawn sqs because I don't want the quilting to take away from the image. Any suggestions on how to quilt would be appreciated.
I will SID the Other blocks I made to go with those.
Each block measures 12 inches sq.
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-27-2016, 11:01 AM

I would go around the truck in the bottom left, around the wheels, and leave the name free. You could put the name on the truck and maybe some dates on the wheels. On the one to the right, do some lines next to the child's lines, then add the initials or name and a date. I would do the same on most of the others. Somewhere put the last names too. I think it is very nicely done.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:25 AM
QM
Power Poster

No other useful suggestions, but WOW, a great quilt idea! Such a fine memory quilt.
Old 03-27-2016, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by ragamuffin View Post
I would go around the truck in the bottom left, around the wheels, and leave the name free. You could put the name on the truck and maybe some dates on the wheels. On the one to the right, do some lines next to the child's lines, then add the initials or name and a date. I would do the same on most of the others. Somewhere put the last names too. I think it is very nicely done.
Thanks I did buy matching thread colors and did think abt outlining each...Only thing I could come up with on such large blocks and not wanting to take away from drawings.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Power Poster

I think fancy quilting within the drawings would enhance them, not take away from them. And if the drawings fade, the thread work would preserve the idea of the drawing. Lovely quilt, I'm sure it will be treasured for many, many years.
Old 03-27-2016, 06:38 PM

agree with the idea of quilting with matching thread around the shapes--kind of like you would need to do on a t-shirt quilt that had large logos--enough to keep it all together but allowing the drawings to be the focus.
Old 03-27-2016, 08:36 PM

So many possibilities. Personally, I'd ask each kid/grandkid to pick a shape for me to quilt in their block (from a list). To add unity to the quilt, I'd pick the shapes based on what I see in some of the drawings (hearts, clouds, circles, arches, 6-pointed stars & butterflies). I'd either use a thin white cotton thread or a clear poly thread for quilting -- or maybe a very, very light grey. Depending on the drawing/shape, I'd either echo the shape or repeat the shape.

Other possibilities:
- straight line: quilt a 9-patch on point in those squares
- custom FMQ based on drawing: outline each drawing as much as possible & then use filler around it if needed (for the bottom right, try to group the scribbles into shapes as much as possible -- may need some input from the child)
- thread painting: change out your thread to match the color of each part of the drawing & outline it in the matching color; then fill with white or clear thread
Old 03-28-2016, 04:28 AM
Power Poster

I would outline the drawing just like SITD.
Old 03-28-2016, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
I would outline the drawing just like SITD.
I agree with this, just next to the drawn line, not right on it, and matching thread to the background fabric.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:45 PM
Power Poster

If you use monofilament, the quilting will only enhance the patterns. You could use outlines on what is easy to outline and grids in the free spaces. It will be smashing no matter what you decide.