Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions - Lightweight Machine for Guild? >

Suggestions - Lightweight Machine for Guild?

Suggestions - Lightweight Machine for Guild?

Old 12-11-2010, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chickerson
I could really use some suggestions. I'm looking for an affordable lightweight machine to tote back and forth to my guild. What has worked for you? My dream would be a Singer Featherweight but I have to put that on hold at the moment.

I don't need all the bells and whistles because my Big Brother does embroidery, quilting and computerized. I don't want a Walmart machine but something with a little quality but lightweight.

I have MS and even though I could put it on wheels lifting in and out of the car is getting hard.

Thanks for your suggestions - blessings bunches
Carolyn
I bought a BabyLock 9 for easy transport - love it, have had no problems, very reasonable price, does everything I need when I'm away from my larger machine.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I have two Janome Gem Golds. One stays in the trunk of my car so I don't have to pack it for every sewing day. I go to a lot of sew days and classes so it really comes in handy to keep it in the car. The other one is my DD's who left it here and said she't get it later, four years ago. LOL. It's a great little machine. I would buy the new series of the Gem, it has more features for the money.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
The Singer 301 is the "big sister" to the featherweight, is still lightweight and doesn't usually cost as much.
I love my 301 with the built-in handle on it.. Helps with the taking along!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:04 AM

Have you tried criags list or thrift stores?
Old 12-12-2010, 07:06 AM

I bought a little Bernette for 149.00 at my LQS they sell Bernina. It is cute also http://www.berninausa.com/product_de...-i310-sUS.html
Attached Thumbnails attachment-141945.jpe  
Old 12-12-2010, 07:22 AM

You might find a working but cosmetically challenged FW to start. Then sell it when you've got a prettier one (one dealer even allows you to trade in/up). I just got a Brother HS 2000 70 stitch for my kids for $249. Sewed out samples of every stitch and buttonhole and sewed through 5 layers of denim last night. Wanted to be sure it was working well before the return window was up. Sewed through 8 layers of denim in store during the demo. VERY lightweight, but didn't move, even at high speeds. 20 sec buttonholes quite decent. Brother has several models for $200 or less that get good reviews on Pattern Review.