Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Suggestions for a New Sewing Machine

New Hampshire
    I'm starting the process of upgrading to a new sewing machine and could use help and suggestions. I have a budget (so a mid range machine) and a few features I would like, but really don't know where to start.

I'm not a professional by any means (intermediate), but love to quilt and could use a reliable, well built, easy to use machine. Couple of features I would like:

* A good open yolk space (so I don't strain to see around the front and back of my projects)
    * Variety of stitch patterns
    * Variable speed
    * Variety of feet for machine quilting
    * Stitch regulator
    * Needle up/down

What else would be good to have on a machine? Thanks in advance!

Nashua, NH
    You might want to add:
    - the ability to drop the feed dogs for FMQ
    - "low bobbin thread" warning
    - "straight stitch setting" warning that warns allows you to warn yourself that you have a single-hole throat plate in place; i.e., if you try to do zigzag, the machine will warn you.

I bought a Husqvarna Sapphire two years ago. It has what you're looking for plus the things I suggested. The only think I don't like about it is there's no lever to raise/lower the foot; there's up & down buttons. Drove me crazy trying to line things up until I figured out that I could use the needle and handturn to position the fabric.

Good luck with your search! Enjoy.

Belton, TX
    I always recommend Janome

Front row
    Blog Entries
    Any mid or top of the line machine you can afford. By pass the lower end new machines or buy used.

I'm a Bernina girl... Its really a personal decision, that depends on what you're looking for and the amount of money you want to spend. Let us know what you get!!!

I have Viking, Janome, Brother, and Pfaff. My favorite machine is the Pfaff for sewing together quilts. Can't beat it. For Heirloom sewing, I prefer the Viking and for buttonholes I like Brother or Janome. Every machine is best for a particular sewing. Janome and Brother are wonderful and are probably the lower cost.

New Hampshire
    I just put this on another thread. I just found out today that Janome is actually coming out with a new machine in May!! I'm not sure what you consider mid-range, but if you go to the Janome site you'll see the 6600. This new one is suppose to out do that one. Right now you can probably pick-up a 6600 for around $1000 - 1100. I didn't get any indicators of what the price of the new one would be. So I'm waiting till May to try out this machine before I buy one.

Home town: Rehoboth, MA Now living in OK
    I think it would depend on what you want it for.

North Central PA
    I have a Bernina that I got used from a dealer and at a wonderful price. I haven't regretted my decision for a second. It has an awesome stitch regulator that gave me the confidence to try FMQ. Good luck with whatever you choose.