Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
suggestions for paper pieced signiture edding quilt >

suggestions for paper pieced signiture edding quilt

suggestions for paper pieced signiture edding quilt

Old 01-26-2014, 04:12 AM

Default suggestions for paper pieced signiture edding quilt

My granddaughter just asked me to make a signiture quilt for her wedding gift. She would like it done in two colours, navy and yellow. I am not a very accomplished quilter so I would like to do a paper pieced pattern. She wants it throw sized and expects 100 people to sign it. I need help please. Any suggestions for patterns, getting signatures,what pens to use would be welcome. Thanks for any help and suggestions.

Last edited by punchbuggysmom; 01-26-2014 at 04:18 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 AM

http://quiltwithus.connectingthreads...ignature-quilt

I've never made a signature quilt.
Googled "how to, signature quilt" and this is one of the links I found.
No doubt there's lots of folks here at quiltingboard that have been there, done that and can be a big help.

What an honor to be able to make your granddaughter a wedding/signature quilt.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:26 AM
Power Poster

an easy signature block that would work for 2 colors, and a smaller size is: cut 100 (6 1/2") squares of the yellow- then cut 200 (2 1/2") squares of the blue- place a blue square on one corner of the yellow- stitch diagonally- cut off the point- fold out- do the same with the opposite *diagonal* corner. people sign the center area. you can turn them this way & that (play with layout) or you could cut 400 of the blue squares & make snowball blocks (same way- just all 4 corners instead of just 2
Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 AM
Power Poster

Also, iron the fabric onto freezer paper to make it easy to write on, and provide appropriate pens.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:35 AM

I made a double wedding ring for my folks 50 th annvs. work out great. but for a two color quilt and something that would go together well, how about a rail fence?
Old 01-26-2014, 06:08 AM

Oh what an exciting project to do for your GD. I'm thinking a crazy quilt type block might be fun for this. You could crazy quilt different blue fabrics with yellow stripe diagonally through the middle. Then, use the yellow for sashing and blue for cornerstones. People could sign the stripe or the sashing. And, I use pigma pens for writing on fabric. I make my labels that way. I have seen signature quilts where someone had embroidered over the signatures. They would be legible forever that way.

I did help a cousin make a signature quilt for her GS one time. She had squares of fabric at the baby shower that she gave to each guest. Everyone took a block home and put a picture and a signature on it. Some were embroidered, some were done with fabric paint, etc. They sent them back to my cousin and then, we put them all together. My cousin sent a picture of the quilt to each of the baby shower guests that had returned a block to go into the quilt so they could see the finished project.

I do like the idea of putting freezer paper on the back of the blocks to make it easier to write on. We didn't think of that.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:26 AM

I started working on a quilt yesterday that would work well for signatures. The block pictured is from the book Vintage Quilt Revival - a stunning book in my opinion. The quilt shown in the book has solid neutral center squares, so would be good for signatures, although I'm no help at all on how that happens. This is an easy paper pieced block that could work with all kinds of color schemes.[ATTACH=CONFIG]458712[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails star-block.jpg  
Old 01-26-2014, 06:48 AM

Take a look at this beauty with the center medallion of the wedding couple.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...t-t236625.html

If you make the center smaller, and make the signature blocks smaller ... I'm sure you can squeeze 100 of the sig blocks around the center medallion. In fact, here's a link to a sig block that would work. It's 4.5" and these can be arranged in a zig-zag around the medallion. (see pic in post #3 for the signature blocks).

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...c-t221233.html
Old 01-26-2014, 07:01 AM
Power Poster

Free paper piecing signature blocks-

http://www.equilters.com/library/PFP/sigblock4.html
simple one
and
a more complex one
http://www.straw.com/equilters/libra...sigblock1.html

Last edited by Annaquilts; 01-26-2014 at 07:12 AM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I haven't made a signature quilt either, but I have picked up some tips by reading about others. The freezer paper on the back is universally recommended. Also you might want to put some tape around the edges of each block, or otherwise frame them, so people won't go right to the edge when they're writing. (You will be putting that part in the seam allowances but non-quilters won't realize that.) Provide more blocks than you think you will need, because some will get messed up, or someone may write something that you don't want to put in the quilt. Have someone watching the signing, to make sure the guests are writing with the pens you provide. Test out your pens in advance on the fabric you intend to use, and wash the samples to be sure the ink doesn't run or fade too much. Some colors of ink may work out better than others, so test all you intend to use.