Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Suggestions, please

Suggestions, please

After much work, I finally finished my first project (yay!) and want to try something new. I have a fabric panel with Richard Scarry alphabet characters on it. It is supposed to be a sew-it book, but I want to make it into a quilt.

The individual squares are exactly 5" square, so I thought I could use them with charm packs to create the quilt. The squares are in primary colors; should I use just one color or several of the colors in the book squares? They do have mostly white as the background.

Also, since you're not supposed to wash pre-cuts, what should I do about the colors when I do wash? I don't want it ruined after all that work!

And, most important, do you all think it will work?

I personally would use different colors like the brights moda marble charm pack. Your second question, I never prewash anything, I wash my quilts with a color catcher. Never had a run
    *Rachel*

Blog Entries
    same here! Good luck I'll bet you'll have a great time using the pre cuts
    Patski
    always learning

Power Poster
    One CAN wash precuts by hand - BUT they may shrink/warp/ and/or bleed.

Since this will be a kid's quilt, I'd use all the different colors with the alphabet blocks. It would be another learning tool for them, naming all the colors and maybe matching the colors to the colors in the alphabet blocks.

I do not prewash my fabric, just wash it when the quilt is finished using color catchers. I've never had a problem with colors bleeding. I like the look of crinkly quilts.

Blog Entries
    Use color catchers in the wash and you'll be fine.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gramajo View Post
    Since this will be a kid's quilt, I'd use all the different colors with the alphabet blocks. It would be another learning tool for them, naming all the colors and maybe matching the colors to the colors in the alphabet blocks.

I do not prewash my fabric, just wash it when the quilt is finished using color catchers. I've never had a problem with colors bleeding. I like the look of crinkly quilts.
    Ditto on this.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

I am not a prewasher--which I have heard the arguments for both ways, I prefer to have my quilts quilted then wash and also have not had problems. I like the idea of a quilt using blocks from a book. I wish I would have tried that before getting rid of most of my quilt panels because I just didn't care to make that project and instead focus on a quilt. Awesome idea I look forward to seeing the final project.
    Lisa Gibbs

I that's a great idea, bright colors would look great with it.
    Heather