Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions on Quilting Pattern >

Suggestions on Quilting Pattern

Suggestions on Quilting Pattern

Old 03-10-2016, 06:12 AM

Default Suggestions on Quilting Pattern

Pattern is called 'basket weave'. Now I need to quilt it, the hardest part for me. I want the quilt pattern to highlight the fabrics and design best way possible, and especially on one this big. (Not huge, 66 X 73)

1. Should I do a curvy design of sorts for counteract all the straight lines?
2. Should it be SID for each block to accent the weave?
3. Should it be SID on the dark blocks, then a FM in the light blocks?

I have a Janome to quilt it on, but it is big and will be heavy, so I am getting tempted to take it to a long armer.

Thanks for your suggestions, and any knowledge I will most certainly gain from all your thoughts!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
Old 03-10-2016, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I would go curvy. I like also what my neighbor calls "On the bank" It's about 1/4" from the SID or even 1/8". Just not in the ditch. With a long armer doing it, you may be able to get a little more fancy with possibly some loops. Sometimes it fun to get a little "loopy"
Old 03-10-2016, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I love those colors you used in your pretty quilt.
Old 03-10-2016, 07:33 AM
Power Poster

Pretty quilt. I think that curving quilting will enhance the design. Look at your batting package to see the minimum area you can leave unquilted. Just outlining the blocks may exceed this when you measure your block on the diagonal.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:07 AM

I think close straight lines in the same direction as the fabric would add to the "straw effect" of the basket
Old 03-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Power Poster

Do you want a weave effect?? I would stitch in the ditch and then stitch once or twice in each strip lengthwise to show that design is made with woven strips. It would be lot of start stop but if you have support to your left side for the quilt, weight shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:09 PM

I was told a long time ago that an allover quilting design enhances the pattern and a specific quilting design enhances the quilting. I have a tendency to believe it. Longarmers are so good these days that I sometimes think the elaborate quilting ruins the quilt.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:19 AM

I would take it to a Longarmer. A good Longarmer should work with you and make recommendations that gives you the look you want. Mine actually lays heavy plastic over a portion of the quilt then draws suggested designs on the plastic so you can get a better idea of the look it will have when quilted. She also auditions different threads against the quilt top so cab see how they will appear since the colour thread can make a huge difference.
Old 03-11-2016, 03:44 AM

so many great suggestions... it all depends on the look you are trying to obtain. If you want to enhance the basket weave straight lines might be best but at first glance of your beautiful quilt, spirals came to mind.
Old 03-12-2016, 04:37 AM

Love this idea... about using the plastic to see the Quilting Design First...as mentioned by another Quilter Above..

Last edited by Jean in Ohio13452; 03-12-2016 at 04:39 AM. Reason: nneded to refer to above comment.