Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions for quilting this? >

Suggestions for quilting this?

Suggestions for quilting this?

Old 01-04-2014, 12:54 AM

Default Suggestions for quilting this?

I finally (after waaaaay too long with it sitting on my wall) finished piecing this quilt - and have no idea how to quilt it. I made one once before but had it quilted by someone else... I want to do this one on my own, but my quilting skills are still new and I'm totally stalled out on WHAT to do on it!

Any suggestions?! Would much rather machine than hand quilt it (I have three little people that don't let hand stuff happen often). It's 36x39" with the majority of the blocks being 3"; a wallhanging.
Attached Thumbnails 1540472_10203064719797898_65439014_o.jpg  
Old 01-04-2014, 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by ladygen View Post
I finally (after waaaaay too long with it sitting on my wall) finished piecing this quilt - and have no idea how to quilt it. I made one once before but had it quilted by someone else... I want to do this one on my own, but my quilting skills are still new and I'm totally stalled out on WHAT to do on it!

Any suggestions?! Would much rather machine than hand quilt it (I have three little people that don't let hand stuff happen often). It's 36x39" with the majority of the blocks being 3"; a wallhanging.
beautiful and artistic, but i have no idea either; sorry. the more i look at it the more i see. will you put a border on it, ?, i think not. i do love the fabric selection.

Last edited by shadoh; 01-04-2014 at 01:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:43 AM

I think you would want the piecing to stand out on this one as it is beautiful. Perhaps just stitch in the ditch around the blocks and shapes with just a little stippling in the circle surrounds so that it pushes them back and lets the circle stand out. The large flowers and leaves could be outlined to set them off and that would be all I would do.
If you are planning to put a border, the red then the darkest colour (grey? black? Dk green?) would be wonderful to set it all off. If not, and it doesn't really need it, perhaps either of these colours for the binding.
You've done a wonderful job on this quilt.

Hugs,
Shiree
Old 01-04-2014, 02:35 AM

Your quilt is stunning. Please share the name of the pattern with us.

As for quilting... I agree with some outlining of the big blocks with the flowers, but I would stipple around the circles just catching them around the edges of the circles. This would make the background lay down and the circles seem like they were floating. For the plain small squares, I would start just in from each corner and make a circle inward. Let's see if I can make this keyboard show you.

) ( Pretend that's on the top & bottom too. Or, maybe a simple flower or leaf pattern. For the 4 patches, I would do a squiggly circle starting in the center of a small swirly in each block. Swirlies, or curls, as Charisma calls them, in the larger square blocks would look good too.

Your pattern is so dramatic that I wouldn't do any type of going from corner to corner in a straight line. You know, like an X That would take away from the wonderful design of the quilt.

If you have a clear see through piece of plastic or a Saran wrap type, put that on top of your quilt and making SURE that you don't write on the quilt, draw out what you think you would like to do on the quilt and see if you like it. This small step is how a lot of really good long armers started designing stitching to go in blocks that would enhance the blocks and not take away from the beauty of them. I would suggest a Washable marker and write on the clear paper, TOP. That way you won't accidently turn the clear paper upside down and get marker on the quilt. I have read that some quilters, tape the clear plastic wrap to their quilts, and stitch through it, tearing it off afterwards. Please test this on some extra fabric before you do this on the real quilt.

The Clear page protectors that we sometimes use to put our patterns in would work for designing your quilting too. Draw your block on the paper, then play. Leah Day has so many wonderful free quilting patterns on her site http://freemotionquilting.blogspot.c...on-filler.html Keep in mind, too much quilting could make your project a bit stiff. Sometimes, less is better.

Have fun!
Barb

Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 01-04-2014 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:36 AM

Originally Posted by Capri View Post
I think you would want the piecing to stand out on this one as it is beautiful. Perhaps just stitch in the ditch around the blocks and shapes with just a little stippling in the circle surrounds so that it pushes them back and lets the circle stand out. The large flowers and leaves could be outlined to set them off and that would be all I would do.
If you are planning to put a border, the red then the darkest colour (grey? black? Dk green?) would be wonderful to set it all off. If not, and it doesn't really need it, perhaps either of these colours for the binding.
You've done a wonderful job on this quilt.

Hugs,
Shiree
I agree. The quilt top is beautiful, and any beautiful, complex quilting pattern would be lost, so keep it simple, and make sure it enhances the patterns in the top instead of competing with them. Great job!
Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 AM

Your quilt is lovely. I think I recognize it from Batik Gems (one of the two quilts I have not made, from that book). I think I agree with those who said stippling to make the ciricles pop. Then maybe a simple cross (X) in each of the small squares. Or you could cross-hatch the whole thing - skipping the circles (stitch in the ditch around them instead) and maybe doing something (not sure what) different in the large floral squares.
Old 01-04-2014, 05:47 AM
Power Poster

i agree with the others... SITD around the big flower boxes. perhaps you can stitch a straight line through the diagonal designs
Old 01-04-2014, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Very pretty and a nice size to machine quilt yourself. I would SITD on the seam lines first. After it is stabilized that way, you can add more quilting if you wanted. I would then FMQ around the flowers in the big blocks. I would then outline stitch the circles and then do a stipple behind them to make them pop out.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:15 AM

You have made a very pretty quilt! I don't have any suggestions on the quiting part.
Old 01-04-2014, 12:49 PM

Oh, I LOVE this quilt! This might just be my favourite quilt I've seen so far!