Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Suggestions on squaring large center block >

Suggestions on squaring large center block

Suggestions on squaring large center block

Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 PM

Default Suggestions on squaring large center block

I am making quilt with a center medallion made up of 1-1/2 squares. I was very careful when I cut the strips and sewed them together then recut the opposite way. but..... Some of my seams are off and it is not square! It is made similar to a postage stamp quilt. I would like to keep my outer squares the same size all around. Should I just pull and tug at the ironing board? Any suggestions appreciated. I hope I have made myself clear!
Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM

If there are any seams that are REALLY off, I would open and resew. Otherwise, it may be a case of the various fabrics having stretched a tad here and there. I have had luck in laying out my block and 'blocking' it just like you would with a sweater. Lay it on a flat surface and pin/tape it into the size that you want. It may mean trying to stretch some areas and ease others. Stretching can be made easier by very slightly dampening the cloth. Once it is the size you want, wet it down with a spray bottle and then let it dry. This also works for panels that are skewed.
Old 02-17-2015, 02:31 PM

Good question and good answer! It's tough to do with a large piece, I would imagine, but I know ladies in my quilt group who don't square the quilt until after it's bound! Of course, they're expert cutters and sewers, but it still seems like it would be really hard.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:08 PM

For me the question would be how 'off' is the total??? If you're talking 1/2" or more then it's probably time to do some re-sewing. If less than that, probably some easing/stretching should make it work. Are you sashing that center medallion? If so, that will keep the blocked version intact. If not - or if not using larger pieced blocks as a border, it might get wonky down the road.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

It would depend on how far off square is?? As you measure the individual squares, find out the worst culprits and resew for better accuracy.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:37 AM

I do this, too, but spray with starch instead of water. The starch seems to "keep" the piece squared up better.

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
If there are any seams that are REALLY off, I would open and resew. Otherwise, it may be a case of the various fabrics having stretched a tad here and there. I have had luck in laying out my block and 'blocking' it just like you would with a sweater. Lay it on a flat surface and pin/tape it into the size that you want. It may mean trying to stretch some areas and ease others. Stretching can be made easier by very slightly dampening the cloth. Once it is the size you want, wet it down with a spray bottle and then let it dry. This also works for panels that are skewed.
Old 02-18-2015, 09:42 AM

Kitsie, I'll try spraying with starch next time. Interesting idea. Thanks!