Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sulky Invisible Poly Thread?

Blog Entries
    Has anyone tried machine quilting with Sulky Invisible Polyester thread? It might be a good choice for the quilt I'm working on that has several different colors (since I can't decide which color thread to use). Their website says it can be ironed. Can the quilt be washed/dried without any problems? Any other pros/cons to using it?

Thanks!

Blog Entries
    As long as the thread is made of polyester, not nylon then it will be a good invisible thread. Nylon stretches and breaks giving invisible thread a bad name. Many choose the nylon because it's cheaper thinking invisible thread is all the same.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the feedback. I think I'll give it a try. I wish I thought to ask earlier when the quilt shop was open! Oh, well...guess I can start cutting out the next project in the meantime. :)

Blog Entries
    My first (finished) quilt was all done with invisible thread and it is almost loved and washed to death. The fabric is getting very thin but the quilting has not unraveled. However, I worked on another one with, I believe a cheap thread and it was a nightmare.

I have since switched to regular quilting thread. If I go through the trouble, by gosh, I want those lines to be seen.

I love using invisible thread for a quilt with many colors. Poly always works fine for me.

Banned
    i use it all the time and have never had a problem with it. i have it in clear and smoke for dark fabrics.

Blog Entries
    Just remember to loosen your tension when quilting with it.

Mary

I prefer wooly nylon invisible thread. It is softer and sews like a dream. My sulky invisible kept breaking recently so I used the only other invisible thread I had which happened to be Wooly. I washed and dried the quilt oh and ironed it before and had no problem. JMHO

Blog Entries
    Another tip for this type of thread....besides loosening you tension...be sure to only wind your bobbin about half full and do it very slowly...hold your hand around the bobbin as you are winding to slow it down. Winding it fast stretches the thread, this causes it to do weird things when you are sewing and causes problems.

I use Bottom Line thread in my bobbin.....it is a 60 wt. thread and works well with the poly thread. I also use Superior's Mono-Poly in clear or smoke.....nary a problem....:o)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast