Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
superior rainbow nylon thread >

superior rainbow nylon thread

superior rainbow nylon thread

Old 06-15-2014, 07:48 AM

Default superior rainbow nylon thread

has anyone used this? my stalwart, infinitely reliable janome seems to have a serious problem with this thread. it's breaking like crazy, and even managed to jump the thread guides and get itself caught in the mechanism that raises and lowers my needle.

i am using a #14 needle and the thread tension looks balanced in the stitches.

any suggestions?

aileen

Last edited by stillclock; 06-15-2014 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:03 AM

I have used Rainbows on my long arm with success. I have found with the thinner threads I have to dial back on the tension. I would suggest checking out Jamie Wallen's you tube video on tension. He is talking about long arm tension, but I think it is a good lesson for domestic machines as well. Sometimes my tension looks good, but I find my bobbin or top tension needs a tweek. here is a link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

PS I forgot to ask what you are using for bobbin thread? How does the thread come off? If it is a cone it needs to come off the top. I use a cone holder, but take a coffee cup with a ruler with holes clothespinned to the side. Thread the thread thru the top hole to feed the thread off the cone from the top. I take it to class..and works good in pinch! Hope this helps...

Last edited by soccertxi; 06-15-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:21 AM
Power Poster

Nylon thread stretches so a loose tension is needed. But Superior Rainbow thread is not nylon.

Rainbows thread is a #40 high-sheen premium trilobal polyester thread with a one-inch color change interval.
Home Machines: Topstitch #90/14. Set tension to 2.0-3.0

http://www.superiorthreads.com/product/brand/rainbows/

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-15-2014 at 08:25 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:29 AM

My machines don't seem to like nylon threads...so I won't use them. But Superior isn't nylon...it is a thin poly.

I don't let it spool off the machine...I put it in a coffee mug and let it spool off more gently. My machine has a high guide so don't need to figure out a different type...but what was written before me sounds like it works.
I also loosen my tension a bit. Try a machine quilting needle (schmetz). I have had better luck with them.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:47 AM
Power Poster

I use poly thread cones (other brands) on the longarm and always have to use a thread net to keep them from spooling off in all directions.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 AM

right. poly.

i have the tension pretty loose and the breakage has stopped, but i am getting little loops in the needle thread sometimes, indicating the bobbin tension is out.

this is exceedingly frustrating. gorgeous thread, but it's killing me.

aileen
Old 06-15-2014, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

I use Bobbin Genies in all my machines. It really makes a difference. I don't have nesting or thread eating and the tension is smooth and even. Some think they don't work but I found the guild members that say the Genies don't work did not take out the tension disk in the bobbin case. You need to to that. It's simple to take out and put back, just don't lose it. The Genies work best for metal bobbin cases but I use them on my front bobbin loading Janome. I use prefilled bobbins 95% of the time.

Last edited by Onebyone; 06-15-2014 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 09:25 AM

I use this thread for appliqué and FMQ without any problems, but I do use a cotton 50wt in the bobbin. I just think it 'grips' better. Works for me Could your needle have a burr on it thereby shredding the thread? Good luck!
Old 06-15-2014, 09:54 AM

i finally got it almost close to perfect. it was a tension issue....just much more tricky and finicky than those i am used to dealing with.

we're off now, but i am having to watch it very closely....

thanks for your thoughts. nothing quite like that particular frustration!

aileen

aileen