Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Superior Threads - Bottom Line >

Superior Threads - Bottom Line

Superior Threads - Bottom Line

Old 02-09-2015, 03:17 AM

Like canoepam I do not piece with poly because I have melted it with my hot iron.
I just tried bottom line for quilting and loved how much of it wound on the bobbin. I adjusted the tension at the bobbin as well as top thread to matched it with king tut, masterpiece and sulky 30 cotton.
I do wonder if the 60 weight was a poor choice for quilting because it does not seem as strong but time will tell.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Poly thread is much stronger then cotton. Remember the myth that poly stitches will cut through cotton fabric if used for piecing.

I rarely use 50wt 3 ply for piecing. I use 50wt 2 ply with 60wt or 70wt in the bobbin. 50wt 3 ply feels like rope to me. I have Aurifil 80wt bobbin thread I use a lot. My bobbin seems to never run out. Those that melt poly thread must use a red hot iron. I've never had poly melt by pressing a seam. I would suggest watch the Superior videos on you tube to understand perfect tension. Star with 0 and go up until the tension is right. Be sure you have the right needle size too.
Old 02-09-2015, 05:46 PM

Wow, some of you have nuclear-hot irons. I'm surprised your fabric doesn't scorch at those temps! I've known quilters who have melted nylon thread, but never heard of poly melting.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:56 AM

My sewing machine dealer told me I should use only poly, top and bottom, but they were not specific about the thread weight. They suggested Mettler, but that is all they sold. I've read about many different threads while "lurking" on this thread in order to learn all I can about quilting from those with long term experience. I've done a few quilts (complete with hand quilting), and I never had a problem with melting while ironing.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:26 AM

I switched to using only poly, have never had it melt, and love it because my machine stays so clean. I use Bottom weight in the bobbin of my Bernina without any tension problems, but my Feather weight wants top and bottom threads to be the same and stitches best with 50 wt.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:26 AM

I generally use Bottom Line for English Paper Piecing work, but I have used Masterpiece and King Tut on my machine. I would go onto Superior's website and go under Reference Guides.... it's up in the right hand corner above the sign in button. And then click on the 'Thread Reference Guide - Home Machine' link. That will pull up a chart with all brands of threads listed with the recommended bobbin thread, top tension, and needle size (and other info!). I've used it before when I had some issues using Masterpeice and KingTut together and just changing the needle made a huge difference. That might be the best place to start and then tweak it from there to suit your machine.
Old 02-10-2015, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
Wow, some of you have nuclear-hot irons. I'm surprised your fabric doesn't scorch at those temps! I've known quilters who have melted nylon thread, but never heard of poly melting.
This is what I was thinking! I too use Bottom line for piecing. Have never had it melt. And on my own quilts, my quilting reinforces the seams to the point they have just about no pressure on them so I have no doubt my seams will hold.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:18 AM

I have been using Bottom Line #60 for hand applique. I ran out of silk thread and so far I have really liked the Bottom Line. Never thought about trying it in my bobbins but will do that now that I have read this thread. (ha ha)
Old 02-10-2015, 09:58 AM

Originally Posted by craftyone27 View Post
I have heard such great things about this thread - Bottom Line by Superior Threads - so I bought a spool of light gray to use in my bobbin for piecing. I was amazed at how much thread wound on one bobbin. I was o excited to try it out that I totally forgot to readjust the tension on my machine. It only took one seam to realize my mistake. Unfortunately there seems to be no correct setting for using this bobbin thread with a thicker top thread. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue using this Bottom Line thread. When I read the reviews it didn't seem that people were using this thread top and bobbin in their machines. Any suggestions would be great - I was really hoping this thread would be "the one" that would alleviate all that fuzz and shedding that occur in my machine with most other threads I've used.
Try a serger thread for the top thread. It's 100% poly, but then, so is bottom line. I love using serger thread for sewing.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I use Bottom Line for piecing ALL THE TIME. In fact, that's all I've used for about 5 years now. I've never had a problem with it breaking or melting.

I agree with an earlier poster who suggested adjusting your bobbin tension.
I agree but definitely. I use bottom line on everything from piecing to quilting. I use it on a Brother and a TOL Bernina. I find it works wonderfully. When I use it for quilting I use So fine for the top thread, but I have used it effectively with 12wt jeans thread on art quilts as well. I don't mess with the tension much and then only with the top tension. When quilting I lower the tension and lengthen the stitch but that is about it. Bottom seam problems are usually top tension problems or bobbin threading problems. I iron often in the piecing process and never have had a melt down issue with bottom line, however with another brand there was some. I suggest you email Bob at superior threads with your problem, he is very helpful. I can heartily recommend, also, so fine for use with bottom line.