Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Superior Threads - Bottom Line >

Superior Threads - Bottom Line

Superior Threads - Bottom Line

Old 02-08-2015, 12:42 PM

Default Superior Threads - Bottom Line

I have heard such great things about this thread - Bottom Line by Superior Threads - so I bought a spool of light gray to use in my bobbin for piecing. I was amazed at how much thread wound on one bobbin. I was o excited to try it out that I totally forgot to readjust the tension on my machine. It only took one seam to realize my mistake. Unfortunately there seems to be no correct setting for using this bobbin thread with a thicker top thread. I'm wondering if anyone else has this issue using this Bottom Line thread. When I read the reviews it didn't seem that people were using this thread top and bobbin in their machines. Any suggestions would be great - I was really hoping this thread would be "the one" that would alleviate all that fuzz and shedding that occur in my machine with most other threads I've used.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:02 PM
Power Poster

Bottom line is 60 wt. I use 60wt Presencia for piecing and I use it in both the top and bottom. All my friends who use the Superior brand also use it in the top and bottom.
The whole idea of using a thin thread for piecing is to minimize the bulk when you press the seam. Since you press some seams one way and some the other it makes sense to use the same thread in the top & bottom.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 02-08-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:14 PM

Agree with PaperPrincess ... try the bottom line in the top as well.

If you are not willing to use it in the top to piece, then you may need to adjust the bobbin tension since that is the thread that is giving you tension issues.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:33 PM

I'm open to using it top and bobbin - I guess I just "assumed" it was for bobbin use based on it's name. I see once again - what happens when we assume - lol
Old 02-08-2015, 01:33 PM

I have had no problem using Bottom Line(60 wt) with King Tut(40wt) and Masterpiece (50 wt). I have used BL for the top to do SID with King Tut in the bobbin where I wanted the back to show up more and I have done it in the reverse. I just fooled around on a sample until I got the tension right. I love Superior threads.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:56 PM

I had an entire answer set up for using Bottom Line in quilting, when I re-looked at your post. You say you are using it for piecing. This is something I really wouldn't do. A 60 weight thread like Bottom Line is not strong enough for piecing. It is great for quilting, but that is not what you were using it for. BTW, it isn't just this one brand of 60 weight thead that isn't strong enough for piecing, it is anything of this weight. Even for delicate baptism gowns of the finest batiste it is recommended you use a 50 weight thread. The 60 weight is reserved for embellishments.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by CanoePam View Post
I had an entire answer set up for using Bottom Line in quilting, when I re-looked at your post. You say you are using it for piecing. This is something I really wouldn't do. A 60 weight thread like Bottom Line is not strong enough for piecing. It is great for quilting, but that is not what you were using it for. BTW, it isn't just this one brand of 60 weight thead that isn't strong enough for piecing, it is anything of this weight. Even for delicate baptism gowns of the finest batiste it is recommended you use a 50 weight thread. The 60 weight is reserved for embellishments.
My thoughts too -- I use Bottom Line with King Tut when doing the quilting. Not the piecing.
Old 02-08-2015, 04:18 PM

Bottom line is poly. If you use a hot iron on your piecing---it can melt. Found out the hard way. I love it for quilting on my HQ16.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:50 PM

I use Bottom Line for piecing ALL THE TIME. In fact, that's all I've used for about 5 years now. I've never had a problem with it breaking or melting.

I agree with an earlier poster who suggested adjusting your bobbin tension.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:39 PM

Yesterday I received my very first order from Superior Threads, which I learned about from this board. Haven't used it yet but it sure looks good. My order wasn't a large one and I was impressed to receive a call from Superior regarding a minor problem and how would I like it fixed. Second pleasant surprise, the spools came in a long white box - I thought of a flower box - and opening it felt like I'd received a gift. My few spools were packed with much care and I have a feeling I'll be buying from Superior Threads again.